I HAVE A 1994 MERCEDES C280 AND IT WONT CRANK

265

Asked by Mar 05, 2012 at 01:35 PM about the 1994 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 280 Sedan

I REPLACED THE STARTER ALTENATOR AND BATTERY LAST WEEK BECAUSE THEY ALL WENT BAD AND
THIS FRIDAY I WENT TO THE STORE ARRIVED HOME WASHED THE CAR AND NOW IT WONT CRANK ALL
FUSES ARE GOOD AND RELAYS I VERIFIED THE CABLE COMING FROM THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER IT
HAS POWER BUT THE OTHER WIRE THAT GOES TO THE STARTER IS NO GETTING POWER I TRIED
JUMPIMG THE SOLENOID TO CRANK IT DIRECTLY AND NOTHING I TOOK THE STARTER OUT AND TESTED
IT MY SELF THEN IN THE AUTO PART AND STARTER IS GOOD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP I AM IN NEED 0F
MY VEHICLE. THANKS IN ADVANCE .

1,215

If all fuses and realys are ok then the only other possibility would be the ignition switch or the immobiliser cutting out power to the starter. Check if you have power on the ignition when turing over to start.

265

WHERE IS THE IMMOBILISER BUT ILL CHECK IF I HAVE POWER IN THE IGNITION BUT I EVEN TRIED JUMPING THE OLENOID AND STILL DOESN T CRANK ALL I CAN IS A SPARK AND CUTS THE REST OF POWER WHEN I TRY THAT I ALSO FOLLOWED THE WIRE THAT GIVES THE SIGNAL ALL THE WAY TO THE FRONT PART (ENGINE COMPARTMENT) AND THAT WIRE IS NOT GETTING POWER EIGHTHER BUT LET CHECK THE POWER IN THE IGNITION

1,215

The immobiliser coil is in the ignition switch and it recognises the signal your key transmits. If the immobiliser had blocked the starter you will not get power to the solenoid. Also check the starter rely again and swap it for another just to be 100% certain it's not at fault. The is also a possibiliy that the starter motor is not grounded properly.

265

I WAS THINKING IT WAS NOT GROUNGING RIGHT FOR SOME REASON BUT THEN AGAIN THE CAR WAS WORKING PERFECT THAT DAY AND I VERIFIED THE POWER IN THE IGNITION AND ITS OK IM JUST GOING DESPERATE HERE LOL

265

WERE IS THE STARTER RELAY

1,215

There is a starter lock out module k38 which is located behind the drivers side kick pannel and the starter relay module box under the hood called K40

265

DO YOU KNOW HOW DOES THE K 40 KEY RELAY LOOK LIKE IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT BUT DONT KNOW HOW IT LOOKS BUT IM GOING TOP CHECK THAT K 38 ALSO

1,215

This is a diagram of where it should be

1,215

And what it looks like, though there were several different ones

1,515

Darius STOP! You're making it to complicated. PRKID2012 said he jumped the solenoid and it still didn't crank. By the way the K40/4 relay in your picture wasn't used until 96 or 97. And DAS (drive authorization system) wasn't on 202 C class in 94. A common problem on those 202's was the terminal 30 connector from the battery to the starter. You'll find it on the lower firewall on the driver's side (close to the starter). It's the terminal where the large battery cable passes from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment. Usually it corrodes badly on the engine side. May also explain problem with alternator and battery (which probably weren't a problem)

95

could be the coil pack

265

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP I VERIFIED WHAT TED HAD MENTIONED AND THAT WAS MY PROBLEM THE ONLY THING IS THAT IT WASN'T CORROSIVE IT WAS JUST LOOSE AND BY TRYING HERE AND THERE I BURNED MY STARTER BUT THAT YOU TO EVERYONE ILL BE POSTING ANOTHER ISSUE WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE AND SEE IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME ON THIS ONE ITS VERY COMPLICATED .

10

Yep Darius was going down the wrong road as soon as PRKID2012 said he jumped the starter. Ted is right on. If I remember correctly it is actually part of the lower accelerator pedal assy and passes thru the floorboard.. ds

1,515

:]

30

hello all, i do have a 1994 c200 and wont start. if i put power direct to the relay is runs immediatly. So there is a problem between the key switch and the start relay. What all can immobilize this car? relays?? fuses?

I have a 97 e420 an it was running fine that night.the next morning it would start..i mean want say nothing an the battery if full charged..