92 500 SEL--Is there any way to keep the shocks quiet? Especialy when cold, the bushings knock around awfully loudly. I hate to change them just for that noise, they work great. Any ideas?

Asked by Apr 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM about the 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500-Class 500SEL Sedan

anyway to keep the shocks quiet without replcacing them?

Steven Boult

Depends on what kind of noise they are producing if it's a squeaking noise yes you can replace the rubber insulators In between the top of your coil springs but the only way to do so is to remove the struts and use a special tool to compress the spring to have access to the rubber insulator but if your going as far as this you might as well replace the strut, the coil spring, and top plate too! If it's a clunking noise your hearing your strut is most likely blown and needs replacing but I highly recommend replacing the whole unit..... strut/ coil spring /top plate /and rubber insulator! Not only will u have a noise free comfortable ride but you will also prevent abnormal tire wear good luck hope this answers your question!

I agree with Steven - your units have failed or are failing. The longer you wait to replace them will only increase your final costs and definitely affect vehicle safety.

The "bushings' "knock around"- I don't understand the problem so it's hard to give advice- if they are "knocking" there may be something wrong with the way the shocks are mounted, not the shocks themselves- do they all do it? all four? man- what if it is not the shocks making noises but something in your suspension? get a good MB mechanic to look at it

had a great mechanic look at it and he said he's seen it before. The top rubber insulators get loos but the shock works fine. He has replaced them before and says thats the only way and I believe him now. He had a friend that tried to quiet his by doing some kind of welding to try and quiet it, but I see now it's best to replace them. Any idea where the best place to get a new set is? I have the hydraulic leveling shocks also. Just replaced the valve in the hydraulics as it started to make a crazy sound.

Number one place to go is www.arnottinc.com Not only do they have your shocks at half the price of Mercedes - They are better and have a lifetime guarantee. MB only warrantys theirs for one year.