why would I have low voltage on power side of fuse 2 whether key is on or off on 1992 400e

Asked by Apr 18, 2017 at 02:44 PM about the 1992 Mercedes-Benz 400-Class 4 Dr 400E Sedan

fuse 2 controls power windows, comfort module, a relay, wipers, sliding roof
switch from fuse 9 (always on) according to the manual.
When the key is on or off, i get low power to power side of fuse 2 in the fuse
box.. I removed/disconnected all components listed in manual for this fuse and
still have low power to the "hot side" whether fuse is in or out

85,485

How low is the voltage? I would suspect the fuse or maybe there is corrosion which is causing resistance. Try replacing the fuse and check the old one for signs of corrosion.

I have replaced the fuse several times and have tried the fuses i took out of fuse 2 location and tested in other fuse locations and fuses are fine. Also checked contacts in fuse box where fuse sits and contacts are fine. I am new to wiring problems so I need to know if power to fuse comes from ignition switch when put in on position and then goes though fuse to components. If so, power would be low coming through ignition switch, correct?

by the way, power is little over 3 volts

85,485

Are you checking the voltage at the fuse or somewhere else? If you are checking somewhere else down the line there may be a bad switch or a damaged wire or something else. Use your multi-meter to trace the problem.

checking at power side of fuse. replaced fuse several times and put fuses replaced in several other locations and fuses are fine. also checked connections on fuse block and they are fine. does the power side of fuse come from ignition switch? if so, if i remove fuse and get low voltage, which i have done, that would indicate bad wiring or connection from ignition switch, correct?