Starting Problem

85

Asked by May 17, 2012 at 06:32 PM about the 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 4 Dr 300E Sedan

Starting Problem, 1991 300E Mercedes, Westborough, MA

1st flare-up – car initially starts and operates with no problem.  2 miles down the road, suddenly runs very rough sputters & bucks and stalls out.  After several attempts to re-start over 10 minutes, car starts-up, smoothes out and runs fine all day

2nd flare-up a week later - car initially starts and operates with no problem.  Drive to the store 2 miles away, park & shut car off.  Return 10 minutes later, car turns but won’t start even after many attempts.  Leave car and return 20 minutes later, car starts-up and runs smooth & fine.

Would like to head-off the problem before getting stranded or needing to tow car.  Recommendation(s)?

2,655

I had a similar problem a while ago with one of these, it turned out to be a blocked fuel filter. However ther are many causes here, poor ignition coil, fuel filter, fuel pump etc etc. You will need to check these items when the car is in a 'failed state'. Carry a spare spark plug so that you can pull a lead off and earth the body of the plug to the engine, crank the engine and you should see a spark, this will illimnate the ignition as at fault, if you have a spark then i would look into the fuel system.

85

Hi Paul, Thank you for your response. I had the fuel filter replaced during full tune-up less than a year ago alongs with distributor cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires. I've had the ignition coil replaced ~30,000 miles ago. This weekend had the fuel pumps inspected which both appear to be ok and decided to replaced the OVP relay. I will post an update if new OVP fixed stalling problem or not. Will know over the next week or two. If OVP didn't resolve the stalling issue I'm considering replacing the MAS controller but open to suggestions as it is pretty expensive if it's not the culprit. I'm also having a high idle issue now when car is warm/hot. Revs up to 1500rpm and will rev down to 1000rpm when hit the gas pedal but will climb back up to 1500 and stay until put in D gear. Any advice?

40

Did you ever find out what caused your problem? Iam having the same problem

85

Hi David, In my case replacing the neutral safety switch did the trick. Also made sure the crank shaft position sensor was fine. Plugs needed replacing and did that too. Perfect! Hope this helps and best of luck.

30

disconect the injector that is under an close to the fuel distributor i did it on older model and runs great since

30

you could also check all the connections cause of moisture it could be a temp switch making it run rich

30

but you can also suspect vacuum leaks

I have a 1991 Mercedes Benz 300 ce I have changed to cool stripper cap and rotor button and I still don't have enough fire can anybody help me?

40

I have a ? I have a '93 300ce and I'm having trouble with the locking mechanism. When I lock the door (with the key) from the driver side sometimes the passenger side does not lock, so I have to go to the passenger side and lock it. Does anyone know what's going on with it?