starting problem

Asked by Jun 02, 2010 at 11:47 AM about the 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 2 Dr 300CE Coupe

I have a 1991 300ce24 valve and when you start it ,it splutters and misses for a short time and will conk out sometimes but once it evens out it will run smooth all day long and takes the reves and plenty of power. is it a fuel or electronic problem?

135

I had this issue on mine, apparantly quite a common problem too. Try the relay next to the battery (overpower relay) Its easy to find and has a fuse in the top of it. If you like try knocking the fuse against battery whilst a friend trys to start the car. In theory the relay should un stick and the car should stop misfiring. Costs about £50 and a dealer only supply (in uk)

10

I saw your question and I believe the problem is in your distributor connection to one of your wires. Perhaps one of your wires are improperly connected to your distributor. Start the engine and open the hood and listen for a ticking noise around the distributor. if you can't hear it perhaps you can see an arch (but it must be in the dark before you can see the arch) because of a bad wire. That is most likely why your engine is skipping or misfiring.

355

my guess would be the fuel system,pressure problems/,pump/,if it consistently runs bad at startup/cold temps. if its cis then lots of factors come in to play.

45

You can also check cold-start injector or thermo-timeswitch in fuel system.

10

there is a plastic pannel behind the battery.remove this and you will see 2 10amp fuses.one is a cold start curcuit.check both.i had this problem with my 1991 300e 4matic.one of these fuses was blown.replaced it and problem solved.