2004 chevrolet malibu (new style)

Asked by Feb 14, 2016 at 08:56 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT

As I was driving on the highway my car suddenly
cut off. The lights on the dash board began
blinking really fast,  the steering wheel locked&
ALL electric elements shut down including the
head&tail lights. I tried boosting it repeatedly,
nothing happened. Currently the only working light
is the blinking auto theft light. The car won't turn
over AT ALL, its completely shut down. PLEASE
HELP

10

Sounds like your timing belt just broke. Is it a 4 cyl? How many miles does it have? When was the timing belt last replaced, and did the water pump get replaced at the same time?

Yes, it's a 4 cyl it has 245, 000 miles (allot, ik. I commute 110 miles to& from work each day). I haven't had the timing belt replaced myself so I'm not exactly sure when it was last fixed &I also have never checked the water pump.

10

I'm positive it was the timing belt then. Just an FYI, it's suggested that you change them every 70,000 miles as maintenance. Since the water pump going out can break your belt early, it's suggested you change them both out at the same time. It's about $500 maintenance, but the timing belt is inside the engine, so when it goes your engine seizes and it can destroy your Pistons. You'll need an entire rebuild or new motor to make it run again. It's a lot more costly than the maintenance.

10

All 4 cyl vehicles have timing belts.

10

Malibu's have an issue with the anti-theft system shutting everything down. The fact that light is blinking makes me think that's the problem instead. There are reset instructions online for how to reset the key. I'd try that and see if it'll start before I started planning the timing belt or a new engine.

My 04 chevrolet malibu won't crank up but will turn over. Changed the fuel pump last year, alternator last year, starter is fine, and battery is good. Was told it was the timing belt? I am going to pay to get it diagnosed by the dealer where i brought it from. What signs show that a timing belt has went out? When it was being driven, the car cut off and the battery light came on. Went and got it charged and car still wont start but will turn over. HELP

10

Make sure you chang your oil to the car or add new oils because that could be one of the problem and the other problem could be the theft system. Should really look into fixing it ASAP.

It was the timing belt. It broke the head in the motor as well. I took it to the dealership and the diagnostic confirmed it