Turn signal is not flashing/blinking in the rear but is flashing in the front. Is the fuse out?

160

Asked by Jan 04, 2015 at 10:24 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LT

116,045

Have you tried a new bulb?

160

Yes bulb is not out

71,805

Does the brake light on that side work? Inspect the socket for damage. Be sure that you have the correct number replacement bulb in there. HTH. -Jim

160

Jim-Signals are not flashing in the rear on both sides and the bulbs are not blown out. They flash in the front.

116,045

Possibly the emergency flasher button issue. If I not mistaken your turn signals also go thru this button and when it goes bad you can loose either front or back turn signals or both.

160

Dandyoun- so what's the solution

116,045

You will have to do some trouble shooting to be sure but the hazard switch or the multifunction headlight/turn signal switch could be the culprit.

71,805

Since it's flashing in the front it's not the hazard switch. Does the brake light on that side come on?? Check for power at the socket as well. HTH. -Jim

160

I don't know about brake light will check that out thank you Jim

160

Hello Jim the break lights are on so what can be the problem

71,805

Ok, since the brake light on that side comes on (same bulb, socket, and wiring) that eliminates everything in the circuit except the flasher and the turn signal switch in the steering column. Since the other 3 corners of the car will flash, that eliminates the flasher. So it's going to be the turn signal switch in the steering column. When you step on the brake pedal power goes straight through the turn signal switch to the back of the car and the brake lights come on. The turn signal switch, when activated, diverts power to the flasher then to the back of the car. Sounds like the contact inside the turn signal switch for the rear (one side) is bad. HTH. -Jim

90

Can I tag on with a similar question? My Malibu is 2007, with many of the same symptoms that niecyblu described. Front turn signals flash rapidly, but rear turn signals don't flash at all. Bulbs are fine - I replaced them to be sure. The difference in my case is, the rear brake lights are also not activating (except the center light on the trunk lid). Any idea what I might need to replace?

10

@terry_green did you ever figure out what was causing it? Same thing is happening with my 07 malibu.

30

Same thing almost with my 05 Malibu my tell light on driver side is not working the brake light will come on but that's it bulbs are good But now I just noticed when I put my foot on the break the turn signal light comes on the passenger Side it does not flick just lights up green Just got the car yesterday plz help?????

10

having problem with the driver side brake light not coming on or turn signal but the rest of my lights work on my malibu. strange the only two things that don't work and I've already checked fuses, connections, and bulb. help!!!!

My right light when I hit brakes only the left side come on and everything else works turn signal, front light car light. I have a 04 chevy Malibu

10

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. Havzing problems with my signal lights. At first they were working and now they turn off. For me to get the signal to turn on is to press down slightly on hazard button. But jow that the hazard button a log w the 2 vents is loose, the signals don't even turn on. I have to really adjust the hazard button dash area to turn on the signal. Do you rink it's my hazard button??

I have a 2010 chevy malibu my lights work both rear but the signal light and brake light wont work but when I'm not using the break lights or blinker the light is there.. So i took off my driver side rear light and i changed the bulb the bulb is ok so i some how started to think flick the cord that makes the light blink and it started blinking so I'm assuming it's my electrical wire i guess i have to replace it.. So my question is do i have to buy a whole new tail light or can i just replace the cord/ cords??? Help please

10

Did anyone in this thread ever figure out the problem? I'm having the same problem with my 04 and have tried everything. Only my problem started when I replaced the plastic headlight buckets/lenses on my car. I have been through tons of forums and threads like this to go years with this problem unresolved.

I have figured mine's out I just had to flick the cable that makes the blinker and break light to work. And it started working. I thought it was my light bulb I think these type of cars go out on cords a lot

Having the same issue w/ my 2010 Malibu. I recently got rear ended and had the bumper replaced, but the tail lights remained undamaged. As soon as I came back from the shop, I noticed that my driver's side blinker would not work for turn signals or while the hazard lights were on. I already changed the bulb one evening and it worked well all night. The next morning, the same problem occurred and the bulb burned out. I'm suspecting a short.

10

Fixed it us oxidized terminals in the turn signal connector. I pulled a pair of needle nose plyers up and down the terminal. In my case for the signal light left side. I also cleaned the ground the same way you have to make sure they align with the connector that fixed it.

I have the same problem with my o4 malibu can't find the problem. My lighter doesn't work

10

Turned out it was corroded terminals with in the plug where it joins the sockets assy. cleaned the pins it up with sand paper.