Help- afraid to drive 2004 Malibu

30

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 04:59 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS

My 2004 Malibu has lost power
steering 5?times. Yes, I get the
chime & power steering in message
nix. But, this time was worse, was on
a curve & almost hit someone. I am
old enough to have driven manual
steering cars. I'm sorry? But thiis is
not the same. I could barely control
it. Pulled over safely, shut off for 15
min and was ok. I am afraid to drive
it. Why is nothing more being done ?

16,665

For safety sake,since you haven't addressed the issue already, I will assume that you need to take your car into the shop before you kill someone.

Best Answer
30

I bought the car 4 years ago from a non Chevy dealer. My VIN ,they say, does not match not does it show me as owner despite up to date registrations, I thought the VIN did not affect this.

16,665

TopShadeTree - I gave you a click on the helpful because that is what you were being. Just read my last post , no more advice from me to people that are in over their heads re:Safety related stuff.

30

Her thanks but I am confused by the" safety related". Stuff I'm a 66 year old woman & don't understand it all. When I bought it they did a car fax which showed nothing.

16,665

you are going to lose control of your car because you can't steer it (physical strength-wise) you already said you couldn't control the steering without the power assist and you almost killed someone.Have a shop pick it up and bring it back. I'm sure you have friends that can steer you to a nice,honest shop.

241,545

The VIN problem is the least of your issue. You can get that figured out at some point with contacting your states DMV. Yes, Classy nailed it, have another shop look at it to address the issue before you or someone else gets hurts. Nothing to be confused about.

30

It's not physical strength. My point was the CEO from GM testified it just reverts to manual steering & she is lying. I loved my manual steering car with standard transmission. My point was this is not the same. It's happened 5 times &! I managed to steer it. This time it happened on a curve. I've read complaints from men saying the same thing. If a car is built for power steering , can it really operate manually.? So it not my physical strength . And, whst am I supposed to drive.? Dealers don't even have the parts yet.Congress needs to make GM more accountable .

30

Yes, but I called GM & spoke with a supervisor who verified thr recall My mechanic looked at it & fixed what he could. But, this happens sporadically .if they know its a recall,, my point is why no loaner like the ignition switch? This is an expensive repair .my point is they don't have the parts at the dealers. But, we have to wait until people are killed? I have fine all I can, but I need a car to drive. Add to that the other 5 recalls . I spent a fortune reolacing my tail light assemblies and now cruise comes in by itself @ won't shut off. This car is a harard.

241,545

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Based on what you posted, GM seems to be doing what they do best. So I took some time and looked into your issue. I found a lot of other owners having the same problem with their steering. I found out the Malibu uses an electric power steering system, which seems to have a problem. The fix is to replace the whole steering column, but multiple repairs don't seem to resolve the problem. You also say your cruise control won't shut off, another safety issue. Seems you gave it your best shot to fix the car and time is of the essence. If you really need a car, my suggestion would be to trade it in on another used car, preferable not another GM, a Ford fusion would be a suggestion.

16,665

Mikki - there is a GM social media group that monitors cargurus site and I have seen their big GM logo pop up. Let's see if we can get their attentiom dear. GM --GM concern -- GM please respond because I know you do moniter this site; please help this lady!!!

16,665

Tom don't forget- just so we all recognize each other when we are being a tad cheeky (or sarcastic) ....."..GM seems to be doing what they do best." :)

30

Thank you. All of you. I know they'' ate monitoring. Good. People are fed up. its so very nice to announce these recalls, but you are mot fixing them. Hey GM, after my last power stewing loss, I called my NYS Senator and was told they have had many similar complains and she calls in for report weekly. If our Reps are aware the CEO is not being honest,,perhaps more pressure. The US Atty in NY is also investigating.. So, listen to us !!

30

I boughten car used at a Nisson dealer , which, I found out has to repair it & be reimburse by GM. A Sentra would be nice. They even be more willing as they are not so overwhelmed. But, how many people can do that? Aren't we just letting them get away with lying, especially after the bailout !

30

It's Mikki again Got a recall notice for a Malibu Maxx with my VIN . The NTSzb referred me to the National VIN Certification Import Office. They verified my car & VIN do not match. Their opinion- I was sold a salvaged car with a phony VIN. I give up ?