My car won't start when I turn my key

455

Asked by Oct 24, 2016 at 10:33 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Impala LS FWD

My 2004 Chevy impala would not start i wait a few
minutes then it cranks, this has been going on for a
while then one day it did it again I waited like any
other time but it never started again. I turn my key
it does nothing but make a small sound ... So I put
a metal hanger to my starter and it started then cut
right off, so I switch my starter and still the same
thing so I figured it was my ignition switch, I
changed that and still the same thing, my battery is
good and charged, cables are good , if anyone may
know what the problem may be I would really
appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

105,645

Have you put a new starter relay in it?

105,645

It is called the ign relay in fuse box under hood,

455

I should have tried that 1st probably would of save me some money if that's the problem. Would that be the reason i hear a clicking noise in my fusebox when I try to start it??

105,645

Yes,from what you have changed out,i would think that is your issue.

455

I'll go grab a few 1st thing in the morning, I say a few because I switched it with the one right next to it their identical but no luck maybe their both bad. If that's the problem cool!! If it isn't still thanks for the help. I'll share the info soon as I replace them

160

Did u ever figure out what it was my car is doing same thing??

120

Dealing with same issue have replaced the starter the fuzes the egnition switch aswell i did the theft lock keycode aswell still nothing. Only time it started was when i manually got the egnition switch to bypass

260

What is the deal.. I am having the same problems as the one above. Did everything he did and still nothing. I am stuck at my house and my wife could have a baby anytime. any advice?

170

I'm having the same problem with my 01 Chevy impala. Changed the ignition and the tumbler. Still nothing. It starts but won't crank or stay cranked. Any suggestion

80

im having the same problem, my boyfriend got some dry gas it started the next day nothing again i guess these cars just suck

110

It sounds like you guys are having a bad neutral safety switch try changing it

330

I have a 2010 Chevy impala Ltz I done got starter and ignition switch also and it’s just clicking & check my battery and wires an everything good.But what’s the problem I need help wat else click sound coming buy fuses boxes

60

I have the same problem ^

230

I have similar intermittent problem with 2004 Impala. It appears is an issue with security system. To get car to start I leave key in on position for 11 minutes. Security system resets and car starts every time.

80

I have same problems. Keep tapping the gas it should start

90

pass lock sensor in the key tumbler. 150 bucks at advanced auto if the car is under 2006 year without a magnetic key

90

I have a 2004 Impala and every time I turn the ignition it wont start up and I just want to put a new starter in it and it still doing the same thing I think I need an alternator

60

If my batterie is bad would cause a short whe I try connecting my batterie on the terminals?

230

I have 04 Impala and about every 2 weeks I have had the same problem. After over 100 attempts it has started each time. What could it be?

100

Took my 2001 Chev Impala to Tires Plus Richfield, MN. Explained that when I turned the key to start, there would be nothing. Lights came on, “Security” symbol showed on dash. This happened randomly...a day later or several hours later, it would work. I was always afraid to turn off when I went somewhere and eventually that happened in parking lot at store. Tow d to Tires Plus (closest to where I was). They said they checked ignition, battery, starter, alternator and charged me $130 diagnostic. Explained it was relay ($42) plus labor and total with diagnostic wad <$250. Took home, parked it for a week (went out of town). Would not turn on or make a noise (exact same thing as before) TP tried to say it was battery so I tried to jump it to no avail! Towed it back and 2 days later they said I needed a new ignition switch to the amount of over $300. Maddening that they will not take responsibility. No more taking my cars to TIRES PLUS.

50

We also had a bad alternator but when we changed the ignition cylinder (bought online for $40) we had to hold the battery cables together (away from the battery) for 20 seconds then hook them up and do the key learning thing (turn the key on for 10 minutes then off then try to start , repeat 3 times) then it started but since we had a bad alternator we had to replace the alternator next. Now it is starting on the first try.

40

I, had an extra ignition key made, and leave it in the ignition. Door lock locks 3 doors and regular ign. key locks drivers door. Cost 2 dollars.

110

Had the same problem this morning figured dead battery, trickle charge battery for 3 hours still nothing, thought I would try ignition relay removed it put it back in again nothing then decided to do crank relay, wiggled it car started right up. Going to the store and buy a new crank relay fuse just so I have it with me.

90

Chevy have a recall on the ignition Call delearship

50

I was told its a section tank. If we are havinh the same issues. I simply wait 12 minutes DO NOT OPEN ANY FOOR OTHER THAN THE DRIVER DOOR WHILE U WAIT 12 MINUTES.... Should start right up if not.... U may have other issues.

40

I was changing my dash molding and I accidentally started my car when the key chain turned clockwise and I started my car on accident, in gear. Broke the plastic ignition sequencer (round thing ACC, OFF, etc.?) upon removal (and "I" broke it) when I pulled the entire old dash molding and replaced it, I thought no big deal, but after replacing the molding my car would not start. The 10-15 minute thing security thing "reset" worked everything good. Thanks for everything thought it was a fuse type thing.

160

Did Anyone Figure Out the Issue with this ? My impala 2013 Is Doing the same thing I Checked Ignition Switch . Ground wire On the block Nothing At all Cant get it Started

120

Is it s fuse, starter, or ignition recall? Somebody, please???? I need "THE ANSWER". I'm a single mother and multiple people have told me multiple things. I've paid a lot of money to fix alternators, batteries, etc. It does the same thing. If anyone could pin point the issue, it would save me so much trouble!!?? Please, SOMEBODY has to have OR had figured this out, by now....??????

40

So did anybody get the answer

90

My car want start I made it to work at 4and when I got off at 10 it want start but the dashboard lights come on but when I turn the key they cut off then comeback on

50

Have same problem. Turn key, clicks once. Battery is at 68% (says my charger). Charge to 86%, starts and runs good all day. Go out hours later, click. Alternator, battery or?

60

I have the same problem with my 08 Impala at first it wouldnt start and you would hear a clicking nosie coming from under the hood then i changed the starter rely and the starter and its no change everytime i turn to turn it over to start the lights on the dashboard go on and off but i took my battery to AutoZone and they say my battery is perfect .. i really need help can someone assist me to the problem please

40

2003 Impala. Won't crank, battery good. Will jump starter tomorrow.

120

I have same problem with 2011 Impala car is at a great shop. He finally got it started today and said something about fuse box cause engine is great lol.. I will post update soon as I hear update.. I do know I'm selling it after this!

50

Figured it was easiest to start with replacing battery. What a PITA changing this one out. SO FAR, it is starting ok. SO FAR. We'll see what happens, but still interested in Latiesha's answer, could be a stuck/shorted/open relay in there somewhere as a phantom load draining the battery.

120

Just got my 2011 Impala back from Inland Auto Tech in Riverside, CA. Car runs great replaced whole fuse box under my hood starts with no problems aftet wasting money on parts i didn't need. Cost 200 and was due to electric shortage. I hope this helps cause I experienced everything I just read above.

20

Change the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft sensor and you should be good to go . The camshaft is connected to the coil module you might have to go to the wrecking yard to find it or special order from the dealorship. If you don't replace them you will be stuck.

Try using your spare key if it's the type with a chip/magnetic. The ignition sys may not be reading the one not working. So far,it's worked on my daughter's car. If you don't have a spare,you'll have to buy it and have it programmed at the dealer. Not sure if locksmiths have the capability to program it.

160

Guys If you are Having the Issue Where You Try to start You 06-13 impala , And When you turn the keys it does not Crank no lights on dash board . All power gone Its your Computer Took mine to the dealer 800 Dollars later Works perfect .“””” Computer issue “””

Ian - dealership told me same thing but My lights on dash came on and my radio which said theft locked my horn wouldnt blow, my doors wouldnt unlock and it couldn't be taken outta park just made a clicking like noise under the hood. At first itd start after the 10 minute leaving in on position then off (well as far back as itd go because it wouldnt turn all way back stopped at accessories until itd unlock) wait 5 seconds itd start. Been 3 days though since itd start so had tow to dealership where said was my computer.

2000 Impala, same problems for years. Every few months it won't start. Years ago, I used to FREAK OUT, out of town twice. But the car ALWAYS starts after a while, less than 30 minutes. I now know that after a while the car will start, so I am not worried, just frustrated. Some guy above said 12 minutes. Today it happened again It was less than 15 minutes.