Transmission 'Jumps' from first to second gear

Asked by Jun 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Classic 4 Dr STD Sedan

2004 Chevrolet Classic (Malibu) with 208K miles. Starts and runs great. When Accelerating, there is a very physical 'Jump/Bang" going from 1st to 2nd gear. Does not do it when decelerating.

Check your transmission fluid to see if it is still holdin' up the show....not burnt, brown or black....and full between the hash marks on the pull stick while running in park~?

go for transmission serviice AAMCO would do ya~

95

Check to see if you have been losing transmission fluid. Look for drips or an oil spot on either side of the engine. If you do, you have a leaking seal around the CV shaft - this model has no dipstick for checking the oil level, so you can check the oil level by driving the car until it's warmed up, then removing the oil level plug on the right hand side of the transaxle up near the front. With the transmission in park, check to see if any oil comes out. If it doesn't, then you are low on fluid. You can add fluid from the top (I would suggest using a transmission oil funnel). Open the hood, and look for the transmission oil add plug on the left hand side of the engine near the left front tire well. It is yellow, and is right on the top of the transaxle. Add a pint at a time until the oil begins to come out of the oil level hole. It's a pain, but it could be the answer to your problem.

1,255

I would check the transmission fluid, I just had this issue with my Jeep and kept doing the same thing... "jumps" in and out of gears or seized up and wouldn't move at all. Turned out that my Torque Converter actually busted and pieces of metal had gotten into my gears. Had to have the entire transmission rebuilt, and brand new torque converter. Isn't a cheap fix, $1,000 to $2,000 depending on if you want a new transmission or just rebuilt it.