Heat and A/C is only coming out of the passenger side dash vent!!

15

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 07:29 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

Hello,I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport. My Heat and A/C is only coming out of the passenger side dash vent. The reset of the inside vents are low to none.  Also if I switch to front window defrost, the same passenger side dash vent will come on the same time. PLEASE HELP!!Thanks,Tyler

15

If more details are required let me know. Any help is helpful. Also I can hear when switching to different levels the vent "move"

26,615

you have different blend and mode doors that affect where air is directed. Typically a bad mode door actuator results in a symptom like yours. To diagnose and repair them you'll have to get access to behind the dash. Try googling 'mode door troubleshooting' for your specific make and model.

15

Thanks, will check that in AM. I had a feeling but when I looked up bad blend door actuator most people say it makes a loud clicking sound, but I know not everyone has same symptoms!

15

Update: I changed the Air Door Actuator and still no go. Do I have to calibrate this after I put it in or is it simple plug-in-play? Also I noticed the air or heat depending which is on also blows at the feet when set to the head and feet setting but only again on the passenger side.

26,615

Can you reach into the vents at all, and check that nothing is in there blocking air flow, or that the plastic ducting to the driver side hasn't been pulled away/disconnected from the trunk line? Typically, a 'temperature blend door' is in the HVAC box and only affects temperature (by blocking the heater core, or opening to it), then various 'mode doors' open or close to direct air to defrosters, feet, etc. It seems from your description that one dash vent on the passenger side is coming on no matter what setting, correct? It may be a bad door actuator for that mode door or the mode door itself is stuck.

15

I tore apart the top part an instrument panel today and no blockages were found. Also the plastic ducting is still intact. Correct, the passenger side works perfect fine and the front window defrost. I will investigate further tomorrow.. This is starting to suck as it's getting colder outside although I love the cold but my passengers don't. :)

15

Thanks for all your help KenF!

15

KenF, can you send me a link to the "door actuator", as I had mentioned I replaced the Blend Door Actuator on the passenger side and still nothing. I would need a link so I know specifically what to look for. Thanks

26,615

This might help: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/2tuav-knocking-noise-behind-glove-box-possibly-heater.html If not, Autozone has manuals for all vehicles on their site but that requires registering a username, you can then look up your car's HVAC system.

15

Ken F: Thank You for all your help!! I have solved the problem! Apparently a piece of foam that sits on top of the HVAC fell inside and had to be removed. What a long process that was to disassemble. Thank You again for your help!

26,615

Glad it worked out. Car makers really should screen off those dash vents, to keep junk from falling in there and causing headaches.

15

So true... But that's how they make the mega bucks! I can only imagine if I didn't find it.. Possibly a fire. As there was a few "burn marks" on it already...

10

Cool blowing on driver side heat blowing on passenger side how do I fixes the problem