Loud Ticking/ Knocking sound

Asked by Feb 05, 2017 at 08:02 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sedan FWD

Initially when those nose started about two months
ago, it goes off when I go for an oil change so that
gave me an assurance that it may be a dirty oil.
Now I just did an oil change and the ticking/
knocking sound coming from the passengers side
of the engine cabinet is loud and non- stop

121,195

If it's loud then most likely the rod bearing that was loose has finally let go all together, driving it now wil detonate the engine and you won't have a core to go with a replacement engine. Any ticking/knocking noises should be checked out right away to prevent a problem like this.

37,975

Let a mechanic diagnose the noise, if it's from the valvetrain (lifters of valves) it can be fixed relatively inexpensively, but if it's the lower end (crank, rods, pistons) it probably won't be worth fixing given the age and type of car. Usually if the ticking matches engine RPM it's from the lower end, if it seems like it's one-half engine RPM it can be from the valvetrain.

I have same problem. Just changed oil same as I always do. Fist start after oil change and car has loud valve chatter. Car had been idling ruff for awhile. It makes me think something happened to coil pack and, running as if firing on 2 cylinders. I wouldn't chisel a Tomb Stone for it just yet. But needing a bottom end rebuild? No Way!

I don't know much about cars but could it possibly have something to do with piston return springs? I have no clue about any of this. I am having the same problem though with a 2005 Chevy cavalier ls sport.

120,265

Piston return springs? LOL

Lol

I feel like an idiot lmao. Saw a video and found out "Piston return springs" was an April fool's joke. But seriously. What might it be? It's happened for a while but only does when I crank the car and drive down the road for a minute maybe something to do with a stuck valve or something?