Before anyone answers this question please dont leave any smart elic comments. My 2004 caviler is making a noise in the front end, roaters, axel, and wheel bearing have been changed and the noise is still there. It sounds like the wherl bearing but obviously its not. I do know its not my transmission cause when I press on the brake it stops. I have also put brakes on this car as well.

65

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 02:54 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

1,535

You said when you put on the brakes it stops? If so then you may have a sticky caliper. Also check the dust shields around the brakes to make sure they are not hitting the rotor.

65

I will check the caliper. Its not the dust cover I have already checked that.

86,775

Through the years I have have found that sometimes the brake pad is too hard and will set up a harmonic vibration, so the question is was it there before you replaced the brake pads? If not then that is what I would change out.

65

I will try that too. I will update you thanks guys

65

Its not the caliber

12,135

How long has it been since the brakes have been done? I assume the pads are still good? Some have brake pads that have a noise maker to tell you when the pads are getting close to needing replacement. When you apply the brakes, it may pull the sound maker away from the rotor enough the noise stops. Some pads wear longer than others, and depending on the driving and the conditions the brakes were used, pads can wear out quickly. In patrol, I went through a set of pads in one day, but that's another long story. Rotors also were in need of replacing. I did have fun though.

65

Replaced brakes as well still not fixed it sounds so much like the wheel bearing but it is brand new

Did you change BOTH hub assemblies? If not, do this.... With nobody else in the car, on an open two lane road, swerve back and forth and see if it gets worse or changes pitch depending on which way you go. If you are going left and it gets worse, it the right side. Going right, it's the left side. If this is not the case, It could be the CV-Joint as well, but seeing as it stops under braking, and you've ruled out brakes, I would look at the hub assembly.