Fuel gauge has no pressure 1 week after pump change on 2004 Cav

5

Asked by Feb 06, 2015 at 11:11 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

I had problems with my car not starting, and had a friend tow it to the shop. They said
the fuel pump wasn't coming on (I knew the line wasn't getting pressure already), so I
bought the part and brought it to them (I got it cheaper than at a store). They inspected
the old one and said the old fuel filter was clogged (built into the pump apparently).

He got it running, and I drove it a good bit since, including into town in back 4x this
week (70+ miles round trip). Today it's a bit warmer outside, we drive it to the bank
only a mile away, come out, and it won't start. This is exactly what it did before we had
it towed, and there's over a quarter tank of gas in it.

I had the check engine code checked at AutoZone this past week, and said something
about an electrical problem (forget what sensor and bank), and a oxygen sensor code.
So, since the fuel pump was just replaces one week ago, I have trouble believing a
new one died even if I did run at quarter tank. Where can I start to look to get this
running? I turns over every time, and I already switched the AC Relay into it, which
solved nothing. One time I tried to crank it, it actually started for the better portion of a
second, but only the one time.

Again, this was the same issue that made me pay to replace the pump, and it worked
well after they changed it for a week, almost to the hour. No problems otherwise.

80

Are u sure ut still has gas. sometimes when fuel pump are put in the float gets bent and guage reads wrong

5

Thanks for the response, and yes I'm sure. I had a quarter tank, went a mile, it wouldn't start. Just in case of what you said, I walked home, grabbed a gas can, went to the gas station, then put most of a gallon in the car. Still no dice. I pushed the button where the fuel pressure guage connects, and a SLIGHT amount will come out if I don't push it for a couple minutes.

35,145

The fuel pressure at the engine needs to be measured to determine the problem.

5

Once again, there's no pressure. It barely drips. :/

80

Sounds like it could be a bad pump

5

I troubleshot some stuff. The shop I had said there was electrical problems at the relays. I checked it with the multimeter, and terminal 87 is only getting 1v. When I jump power directly from the battery to 30, the pump turned on. After doing so, the radio just makes a buzzing sound, and no screen came on, while the eject button still works. Also, the F/P fuse has no power with or without the wire jumped to 30.

5

Another update, I wired the lead to 30. I had pressure, but while the car would turn over (not just click trying to start it, the engine wouldn't boot.