Fuel gauge has no pressure 1 week after pump change on 2004 Cav

Asked by Feb 06, 2015 at 11:11 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe FWD

I had problems with my car not starting, and had a friend tow it to the shop. They said
the fuel pump wasn't coming on (I knew the line wasn't getting pressure already), so I
bought the part and brought it to them (I got it cheaper than at a store). They inspected
the old one and said the old fuel filter was clogged (built into the pump apparently).

He got it running, and I drove it a good bit since, including into town in back 4x this
week (70+ miles round trip). Today it's a bit warmer outside, we drive it to the bank
only a mile away, come out, and it won't start. This is exactly what it did before we had
it towed, and there's over a quarter tank of gas in it.

I had the check engine code checked at AutoZone this past week, and said something
about an electrical problem (forget what sensor and bank), and a oxygen sensor code.
So, since the fuel pump was just replaces one week ago, I have trouble believing a
new one died even if I did run at quarter tank. Where can I start to look to get this
running? I turns over every time, and I already switched the AC Relay into it, which
solved nothing. One time I tried to crank it, it actually started for the better portion of a
second, but only the one time.

Again, this was the same issue that made me pay to replace the pump, and it worked
well after they changed it for a week, almost to the hour. No problems otherwise.

Are u sure ut still has gas. sometimes when fuel pump are put in the float gets bent and guage reads wrong

Thanks for the response, and yes I'm sure. I had a quarter tank, went a mile, it wouldn't start. Just in case of what you said, I walked home, grabbed a gas can, went to the gas station, then put most of a gallon in the car. Still no dice. I pushed the button where the fuel pressure guage connects, and a SLIGHT amount will come out if I don't push it for a couple minutes.

The fuel pressure at the engine needs to be measured to determine the problem.

Once again, there's no pressure. It barely drips. :/

Sounds like it could be a bad pump

I troubleshot some stuff. The shop I had said there was electrical problems at the relays. I checked it with the multimeter, and terminal 87 is only getting 1v. When I jump power directly from the battery to 30, the pump turned on. After doing so, the radio just makes a buzzing sound, and no screen came on, while the eject button still works. Also, the F/P fuse has no power with or without the wire jumped to 30.

Another update, I wired the lead to 30. I had pressure, but while the car would turn over (not just click trying to start it, the engine wouldn't boot.

My 04 cavalier did the same thing it wouldn't start and it ended up just being a 15 amp fuse and as soon as I replaced it a turned it over it fired right up! 15A F/P-INJ That's the name of the fuse I'm pretty sure but if not just start pulling then out and replace blown ones!

And it was the fuse panel on the inside of the car not under the hood