What could cause the fuel pressure regulator on my 04 Chevy Cavalier to need to be replaced twice in two months?

Asked by Apr 20, 2014 at 08:15 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

My 04 Chevy Cavalier started running rough and
engine light came on. Mechanic replaced fuel
pressure regulator and spark plugs. Two months
later car ran worse, engine light came on. Fuel
pressure regulator, spark plugs and O2 sensor were
replaced. Any thoughts on why this would happen?

105,985

Sounds like he is guessing at what's wrong with your car. What were the code numbers for the check engine light?

Honestly, I don't know. The first time I went to a highly recommended mechanic, the second time a friend's boyfriend fixed it. The boyfriend had no idea about the first repair. I didn't know he was going to fix it, I just didn't want to pay the repair shop $100 for them to check the engine light. I was just wondering if there was an explanation for this happening twice, or if the first place didn't do what they charged me for.

The boyfriend did tell me there were several codes when he hooked my car up, and he found the problem(s) through process of elimination.

105,985

Ok that makes better since. Have your codes read. Auto zone will do this for free. Post the numbers back on here and we can better help you figure out what's going on. So you will be armed with information when dealing with shops or maybe even be able to fix yourself.

19,485

check around the coil and plug wires for signs of lost spark jumping out