my 2004 chevy blazer will not engage into 4 lo or hi when you push the button? How do I know its on or working?

caparton5
250

Asked by Dec 20, 2012 at 02:00 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

14,715

What are the lights on the switch doing?

caparton5
250

the lights just stay on. we can hear it shifting, but nothing happens, and still does not engage. we tried to pull he fuse out, didnt work, we tried to put it in N, then switch to 4, then park, still nothing. we tried going in reverse and drive a few times, still nothing.

14,715

Does the light change from 2wd to 4hi? Or will it blink then just go back?

Paul Bostel
165

There's a vacuum operated actuator under the battery tray. Hook up a hand vacuum pump and check that it operates and holds a vacuum. If it does follow the vacuum line back up to the solenoid that operates it on the firewall and inspect for any cracks that may cause a leak. Verify that the solenoid is receiving power when trying to engage the 4wd on the vehicle, and verify functionality of the solenoid by applying 12v to it. If everything checks out there, you are most likely looking at a failed transfer case motor as the problem.

Ryan Beltz
265

take it to a transmission shop and have them look at it! most likely its your transfer case and will need rebuilt dnt cheap out and get 1 used 1 from a junk yard or anything youd be better off getting it rebuilt i own a 2000 4x4 and have been down this road trust me man

14,715

No, these problems are 90% of the time electrical or the vacuum actuator problem. If the transfer case is bad it will usually make some horrible noises.

mine's kinda doing the same thing it will goin into 4X4 some times but most the time the light's on the switch just blink and go back to 2hi or don't do anything but every once in a while it will lock in and the 4x4 works backwards untill bout 3000 rpm and it starts poping but will not work going forwards it only grids can anyone help

Harleyrich
110

I fix my 03 blazer today it was just vacuum actuator cable sticking .sprayed it worked it buy hand and spraying it .Works great now was going in 4 low but not 4 high when I pushed 4 hi both flash and went back to 2 wheel

Lisa Johnson
40

I don't have an answer. I want to know the same thing my 2003 won't go into 4 w hi. It did last week and couldn't get it out. Finally got it out. Now can't get back to 4 hi

michaeljka
60

mine goes into 4x4 gear but the front tires don't spin what is this??

Antanies
0

It's most likely the transfer case encoder motor, which is either bad or its ground wires are corroded. It can also be a bad transfer case control module. Both are pretty cheap and very easy to replace.

JCmunoz24
0

I have an 04 Envoy and I just replace the transmission actuator because that's what the local dealer told me needed done. Once I replaced the actuator, I hooked it up, connected the battery and then I turned the knob to AWD and it worked!! Once I took the jacks down and tried it again, it failed! The 4 wheel drive would not engaging again. I moved the knob to AWD and it gave me the same message, "Service AWD". When I took it to the mechanic I told him that the module needed the software updated or reloaded. He came back and said that it wasn't the module but the actuator and it cost $650. Now that else can I look at? Any ideas?