My 2004 started to heat up all the time please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Asked by Jun 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan FWD

Car just started heating up. I had the ac on so I ran it with it off and it still heats up.

505

First off, make sure you have an adequate coolant/water ratio & your radiator is full when it's cool. Then, make sure your fan is coming on when engine gets warm/hot. If those two things are fine & working properly, you might have a thermostat sticking, or not opening. This would not allow the coolant to circulate throughout the system & cool properly. It is also possible that you have a plugged radiator. To test to see if your radiator is plugged, when your car is running & heated up, CAREFULLY feel the lower radiator hose. If it is cool-warm to the touch, the radiator could be plugged as it isn't allowing the coolant to run through it, thus the hose will be cooler because the hot coolant isn't making it through the hose. You can also check to see if the thermostat is opening by removing the radiator cap, start the engine, and watch inside of the radiator while the engine is warming up. When your temp starts to build, you should be able to see the coolant start to move/flow when the thermostat opens, as the water pump will be moving the coolant- circulating it throughout the system. If your engine temp reaches the hot stage & it doesn't open and circulate, your t-stat failed. Are your fans/fan coming on? It is also ran off a temp. sensor & should kick-on when engine starts to get hot. Check fuses for the fan first if it isn't coming on when engine gets hot. How does your coolant look? Have it tested to see what it's boiling point & freezing point is. Make sure you don't have any oil appearing in the coolant, or any moisture appearing in the oil too, as this would indicate a blown head gasket which would cause it to overhead, or can be a result of it overheating. Those little engines are very sensitive to overheating, so get it resolved asap before any major damage happens.

50

I have checked it all, and it still heats up a little

the car is overheating and the fan isnt coming on what could be wrong

my 2011 aveo was doing this and it ended up being a warped head which cost me a fortune to fix. now just a few months later its cold here and my heater is blowing cool air can someone please tell me how to fix this issue ?