Oil is leaking into the cooling system, is there a gasket repair additve that I could use?

Asked by Oct 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Venture LT

I've had gaskets leak before but usually it's water into the oil not oil in my radiator. I've used copper gasket repair additives before but the pressure this time is the wrong way. is there an oil additve to repair gaskets? or am I looking at big bucks to fix? and how do you drain the rad anyway?

31,895

The radiator is cracked and when the oiling system is under pressure while running the pressurised oil is seeping into the coolant. Its the only explanation since its the only place pressurised oil comes near the cooling system. Get the radiator replaced soon before it busts open and drains the oil and ruins the bearings.

31,895

Drain plug is on the bottom of the radiator. If you want to tackle this in your driveway/garage let me know the engine size and I'll post the in depth procedure. Its fairly simple but pretty messy.

Best Answer

Thanks John, Any help you can share is much appriciated I will tackle replacing the rad this weekend. The engine is a 3.4l with air conditioning. I see the engine mounts are right over the rad. do I need to remove one to get the rad out? Thanka again. AF

1,735

that is usually the intake gaskets , those dont have engine oil cooler in the radiator?

31,895

Intake gaskets don't come into contact with pressurised oil so no kevin your wrong.

I had the rad replaced May 2011 due to erosion/pin hole leaks. Also the water pump has recently started to chirp a little. It stopped chirping when I cleaned out as much oil as I could from the overflow reservoir and under the rad cap. Another bud thinks it might be the water pump.... thoughts?

31,895

Also Kevin i never said engine oil....... Have you checked the transmission fluid recently? The water pump doesn't come into contact with pressurized oil. The ONLY place oil comes into contact with the cooling system is the radiator. Whether its engine oil or transmission "oil" pretty much every domestic since the early 90's has a radiator that has some sort of oil flowing through it-------------------------------. The cooling system at some point during driving becomes pressurized. Therefor if the hole was big enough for unpressurized oil to contaminate the cooling system then that means as soon as the cooling system attempts to become pressurized the coolant would transfer to the oiling system almost immediately. Now if it were to come in contact with oil under pressure then the oil would negate the coolant the entire driving trip and prevent it from coming into the oil's system. Very little coolant may pass after the vehicle is shut off if any at all, considering how little is passing at the oils 45+psi, the cooling systems 13psi looks weak.

31,895

simon click on my name and send me a message containing your email address and i can send the procedure in either a word document or pdf.

360

radiator

I have a 2003 venture and it's doing the same thing. I was told by a mechanic that it most likely is my oil cooler. Which is located behind my oil filter. I was told that was the only year that did that to. I'm Taking it off this weekend and seeing if it is crack.