when shift is in "B" for 2006HH, should cruise control work?

20

Asked by Mar 04, 2010 at 02:09 PM about the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited

Cannot find info in manual and haven't seen answer anywhere.  On my 2006 HH Limited, when I travel with shift in "B" position instead of Drive, cruise control does not work.  Should it?  Cruise works perfectly when driving in "D".

Thanks

Chuck

365

"B" gear will not operate cruise control as it is your Engine Brake. in other words when you are driving in the mountains or down a hill you will slide it in "B" gear and it will slow the vehicle down without applying the brakes.

20

I appreciate the insight, I thought that might be the case. I just started driving in B almost all the time because I also find it extremely useful here in Las Vegas traffic as it takes the place of normal gas engine, engine braking. On other board I have heard several people complain that the 2006HH appears to accelerate as they are stopping and applying their brakes. To my mind that happens because up until your car reaches a certain speed while decelerating and you are braking, your gas engine is running and helping your car brake. But, at some point in this process your gas engine quits and all of a sudden unless you brake harder, your car effectively accelerates. Driving in B on freeways or in the city, not just down hills, to me helps restore the regular feel of engine braking as you pick up your foot from the gas and don't really stomp on the brake. Thanks for confirming my initial thought. Chuck

35

I was taught not to drive in "B". It is the same as driving a conventional gas car while holding your foot on the brake (that is why it is labeled "B"). If you are in "B" and use the gas you have to first expend energy (whether is is electricity from your battery of gas in your engine to override the braking of the generator on each of your wheels. You won't get as good "gas" mileage.

20

Ah, but when not in "B" and I remove my foot from the gas I notice an gas-engine braking effect, but not a thing from wheel generator braking I don't think. I think not because, if you had wheel generator assisting braking then why when your speed drops do you all of a sudden feel loss of all assisted braking at the same time the gas engine shuts off? Or maybe it's there but is slight. I really appreciate the insight because nobody told me anything on pickup of the car. Was almost like I would know intuitively how to drive a highlander hybrid or I wouldn't have bought one in the firest place. Again many thanks.