I have a 2005 Chev Trailbazer. It is stalling frequently when in reverse. Also the idle fluxuates widely when just sitting in park. Is this a transmission problem?

Asked by Jul 15, 2017 at 06:24 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD

475

Not a transmission problem no. Did you recently disconnect the battery for any reason? When's the last time the throttle body has been cleaned?

Did not disconnect the battery. Yes, the throttle body has been cleaned recently.

475

Now we're getting somewhere. Does it only idle badly when the AC or Defroster is on?

No difference AC or Defroster on or off.

475

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour or removing fuses 10 and 28 under the hood? HVAC in off position prior to doing this.

No I haven't tried these things but I will and let you know what happens. Thanks.

I disconnected the battery for an hour and started it. Lo and behold it is idling much better and did not stall while in reverse. However, there is an issue with the ABS and Parking brake lights flashing on and off at random times especially when I shift it into reverse. This was happening before I disconnected the battery as well.

475

Great! Sounds like a wheel speed sensor. Did you recently replace a hub or 2 up front?

No. Not sure what a wheel speed sensor is and where it is located.

475

Located inside of your hub, has a connector from the backside that goes into it. Might be a faulty sensor, have to buy the whole hub unfortunately. I would go to like an autozone and have them scan your truck. HOPEFULLY they have the ABS feature that can read the pending code for ABS systems. That would point to what is wrong.

Why buy the whole hub? I can see online buying just the speed sensor.

Is it easy to check for a faulty sensor?

The problem has continued. I drove it awhile this morning and had trouble with it stalling not only in reverse but in drive. Now when it sits in park the idle fluxuates and almost stalls. The ABS and the Parking Brake lights both stay on. They don't go off until I put the vehicle in drive and press the gas. After I drove it I removed the 10 and 28 fuses as you suggested but there was no change in behavior. What else can I try?

475

Whole hub is same price or cheaper than the sensor, kill 2 birds. Check. Before spending $$, have the code read by someone that has the equipment. Check the vacum hose under the plastic resonator on top. Some models it's on right hand side (small diameter hose), other models it's on left underneath, bigger diameter hose.