97 Tercel tranny swap?

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 08:33 AM about the 1997 Toyota Tercel 2 Dr CE Coupe

I have  a 97 Toyota Tercel,  5 speed
manual.  I need a new transmission
but can't find one anywhere.  
Is there an alternative that would bolt
on?

Whether it has a a 1.3L-- 4E FE or the 1.5L-- 5E FE, either of those engines were available for a '97 Tercel, a transaxle from another Tercel 1994 to 1999 will bolt in, as long as it came off the same engine you have

See your message. That's why they are so hard to find, and parts for them are scarce, no remans even available

20

Does a 1996 transmission fit in a 1997 toyota tercel?

I don't think so. 97 started a design change which ran till end of production. I'm pretty sure everything before 97 was a 4 speed manual transmission also.

20

I have a 4 speed tranmission in my tercel tho? So what should i do? The tranny doesnt shift to 4th gear

Best Answer Mark helpful

There's LOTS of 4 speed tranny's out there. Check local junk yards first. Can also get them pretty cheap on eBay. Put a new clutch & clutch master slave cylinder in while you have things opened up.

20

I got a 4 speed tranny in my car right now and called a junk yard and they had a 1996 4 speed tranny so i wanted to know if i can switch trannys even tho my car a 1997

Do a search to see if gear ratios are the same (or model #). If they are, you're in luck. I've found a few tranny's that match mine since I posted this 8 mo. ago. Yours is Much easier. Just do your research online, take notes so you don't get mixed up (I do) & the answer will show itself. You just gotta put in the time & work.

10

i want to put a 5 speed in my tercel and i was wondering if there was any ones that i could bolt in

30

I have a 96 tercel with a 3 speed trans is it posible to bolt on a 4 speed auto trans on there

Can I install a trans brake in my 97 Tercel

I have a 1997 toyota tercel automatic transmission when bad can't find one what other transmission from another car would fid my car

I think the Paseo had the same tranny as the tercel. Find out your gear ratios & compare it against the paseo.