car is dying at idle

tiggy
0

Asked by Nov 10, 2008 at 12:00 AM about the 1994 Toyota Tercel 4 Dr DX Sedan

After my 1994 tercel is warmed up,it has begun to die or sputter and die when I stop and try to go,runs ok when moving at speed.Idle seems a little low ,not sure what to check vacum leak,EGR valve,oxygen sensor any help would be appreciated (getting scary to drive).

Joshua Lomax
95

My 89 tercel does the same thing.sometimes you just have to rev the engine a couple of times and the idle will work like it should for that time.Also it helps to keep the RPMs up,so like when ur at a stop light just lightly hold down the gas pedal.I've had to tweak my idle a few times to try and fix the problem,and it works sometimes.

LenniLane
0

Same problem with my imported 79' though im thinking it's due to a fuel filter problem, perhaps adjusting thr idle wouldn't hurt.

Kyle McIsaac
185

I had the same problem with mine. Seemed the battery was weak and wasn't holding a good charge. Check to see if your battery is holding a strong charge or not. Also, you can try to adjust the idle up. Using a flat-top screw driver, adjust it (see image attached). Make sure your car is in park (and for extra safety, have someone sit in the vehicle and keep the brake pressed). Hope this helps.