cylinder 3 misfires could it be the timing belt?

Asked by Apr 17, 2009 at 08:43 AM about the 1992 Toyota Tercel 2 Dr DX Coupe

so far this is what i've done
as the car is running it puts and the engine vibrates alot, so one by one i pulled the wires from cylinder 1 all the way to 4 and when i got to cylinder 3 there was no difference in the engine performance, the engine dropped down in idle when unpluggingt the wires that go to cylinders 1, 2 and 4 all but cylinder 3. i can tell that the car does not have as much balls as it used to (not that it had much) and especially when starting off on a hill. i have a 5 spd coupe. there is spark going to the wire and plug (i tested that) i also bought new distibutor, cap, wires and plugs yet it still performs like crap. next i'm going to test the combustion and replace the injector but could it be that the timing belt skipped a notch? if anyone could help me out that would be awesome
thanks

8,375

Generally speaking if the timing belt skips you'll have problems on all cylinders, I'm not too familiar with tercels in this regard, but I think you're on the right track checking that cylinders systems first... You've already checked spark... Check compression, the injector, and fuel pressure

635

before removing the injector run some injector cleaner through the system. check the ignition timing anyway. but ya i'm thinking it's the injector as well. in my opinion ur toyota has seen it's last days as ur daliy driver. so go have fun junking it. id put it in a 4 cylinder class demolition derby lol.

10

it couldn't be the timing belt cause you wouldn't be able to start cause the timing belt is use to synchronize your first wich is "#1"spark at start up,it could be a defective spark plug"wiring".

15

this cars after 15 years of use begin whith this problems the piston rings begin to allow oil to passtrough and this oil get spark plugs wet, if timing belt skips maybe the car dont start. in my case y have to change piston rings to solve a similar problem

I have a 1991 Tercel. Had the same problem. It started out idling really rough on warm days then just got worse over time. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and had no change. I then replaced the injector and it ran like a champ. It was an easy job that took about 20 minutes.

40

You have checked all the first things to check correctly. You could check fuel pressure next but if it was weak you would have issues of low power all the time or stalling. You can easily identify what cylinder is dead by pulling the spark plug wires to each one and noting any change. The cylinder that has no change is the misfire. If your car has an electronic plug on each injector unplug it and check and clean any dirt off the electrodes, including the wire. Make sure the grounds are also good. If thats not the case you may want to take it to a garage to have the injection spray checked. Injectors do wear out and are subject to being clogged up from small debris and varnish that does get thru a filter. Before you take it in try adding a full bottle of high strenth injector cleaner to a low fuel tank, Let it work thru the system. This will free up and disolve any varnish that has clogged the injector. If the cleaner doesnt solve any issues try a new injector. Should only be $30 or so. Dont buy a used one unless its a rebuilt. If that doesnt solve you issues you may have a stuck valve(s) witch means taking the valve cover off and seeing whats going on up top of the engine.

30

its the timing belt, check to make sure all your marks are crank and cams.