I have multiple oil leaks

100

Asked by Mar 01, 2015 at 12:02 PM about the 1997 Toyota T100 2 Dr SR5 4WD Extended Cab SB

Approx. 1 year ago I spent a lot of
money on a full upper engin rebuild
As of late I'm seeing a lot of oil leaks
under my truck so I took my truck to
the mechanic that did the rebuild and
he said it's the valve covers they
always leak. But I think he's full of
shit sense I owned my truck sense
2000 and never had oil leaks like I do
now. The oil isn't leaking from the
filter or drain plug either. My question
is should I hold the mechanic
accountable for this problem or
should I just stay away from him
working on my truck and go to
another mechanic? Fyi I spent $5700
in the rebuild and after its said and
done I don't think I should be have
problems a year later do you?

142,865

No, they don't "always leak", that's a cop-out answer to get rid of you. An 18 year old engine probably will, sure, but not after a rebuild, they should be good, and not leaking. You chould (try to) hold him accountable, but good luck with that. But $5700?! Is that a typo? For that kind of money you could have had a NEW engine and transmission BOTH, you were taken to the cleaners on that. And now won't stand behind it? It pisses me off and it's not even my money, that there are shops that do that/ The truck, 1997 Toyota T100 2 Dr SR5 4WD Extended Cab is worth about $3800 in 'good' condition

100

Thanks and I had a feeling I was going to get a responds like that and I know I got screwed. Do you think the heads wasn't resurfaced correctly for this to happen or maybe the mechanic didn't torque the valve cover bolts to specs?

142,865

No, not the heads re-surface, if that was done wrong will cause head gasket problems, coolant in oil, bubbles in radiator causing pre-mature radiator cap release, things like that. Very often they tighten the valve cover bolts TOO much, smashing the cork, and leaking. I sure hope you are not having those other problems

142,865

I just now when reading your post ...top end only? they didn't even do the pistons/rings/crank bearings? This is so bad you might even consider a lawsuit.

100

All he did was replaced the heads, crank shaft, he didn't touch the block in any way

142,865

Sorry I had to go for a few minutes. Do you mean camshaft, not crankshaft?

56,575

If it is the valve cover gaskets, they must be tightened down twice. First when the engine is cold then a second time once the engine is started and brought to operating temp. Otherwise they'll leak. Sounds like the mechanic didn't do it correctly. HTH. -Jim

100

Well put he didn't tighten them a second time until a year later

142,865

Thanks for the back-up Jim. Always welcome and if you disagree on anything, please, say so

100

Ford nut, I meant cam shaft

142,865

I did say lawsuit, but I was just grasping for straws for some recourse. You would probably not prevail, you signed a work order (or did you) and I don't know what State you are in, but Calif and some other States have laws that upon demand by customer, all parts replaced must have old ones returned to customer, to prove they were really replaced. But after a year, that's not gonna happen. But gather any and all paperwork you have and see what it says. Still just grasping....

100

You know what's really messed up, when I first took my truck in I told that so called mechanic that I think a result engine would solve all my problems. But the ass hole said when you buy a new rebuilt motor nothing ever lines up and I'll have more costly fixes. Now isn't that a bunch of crap if you ever heard crap?

142,865

It is. Maybe this guy is inexperienced or incompetent, or most likely of all a crook. Go ahead, post the name of the place! It's not slander, because it's true.

100

It's looks like I'm going to have to just get rid of it and buy a newer model I really feel like I've been bent over and shafted on this truck from now on I'll take me problems to the car dealers mechanics this way the work will be done correctly. Thank for your input

100

In California the name is Empire engine renew its under rebuilt engines. What a joke

56,575

You're welcome fordnut. Always glad to help. This kind of thing makes me angry as well! For $5700 this person should get at least 10 more trouble free years out of this engine. -Jim