How good are the 3.0 twin turbo engines as i am buying a 1995 supra from my brother??

375

Asked by Mar 24, 2012 at 01:08 PM about the 1995 Toyota Supra 2 Dr Turbo Hatchback

i need to know how good the engines are because that is the most important component of the car... that is the actual car in the
photo

25

The 2JZ-GTE in the supra is one of the best performing motors out there. As long it's been kept up with it should be fine. People tune those motors to like 800 hp on stock internals.

15

2JZ motors are great motors. I have a stock 98 supra and as long as you keep up on the maintenance, they will run forever. If your planning on building the car make sure you convert to single turbo, better with stock compression and you make more power.

375

I just brought the car home :) It is a freaking beast.... beat an M3 at the lights...... i am tuning it for drift any suggestions on what to slap on it?

35

The supra is not meant to be a drift car. The weight is not very well balanced for that. It's an exceptional drag car, and it isnt bad at handling once you put strut bars in and upgrade the tires. For drifting, youre gonna need to change the intake, to allow more air flow, so that the turbo can wind faster. The lag on the turbo will ruin your drifts, so you need to make it more responsive. A change in throttle plate will help to get a quicker response. Good luck tho. Its an amazing car, and it will drive long past 300,000 km if you treat it right.

the supra is like its maker inconsistant an a piece of crap. drove 79 thru 95 hunk of crap. Can we say honda slow.lol get a real car an then maybe will talk lol

8,795

the Supra was not a popular machine (Pre-fast and furious), they were well over priced for their time., Since the "craze", it is idolized., I agree with the drift comment of weight ratio, and no offense, if you were a competitor "on the scene", you would not be referring to a forum for turbo advice. (no offense), so keep the car stock, you will be impressed 300 or so horsepower, If i remember right, just waking up....however, your question is incomplete, How good are the turbos.....as in, spooling, power, regular driving, for what purpose? Drift??? start on dirt, (tires cost alot), invest in some sort of locker for the front end, (they are out there), brembo makes the best brakes, though expensive, if you wish to ruin a machine, it can be done VERY quickly...drive it normally, it is respected stock., my opinion.

Can I take a 1988 supra and put a roush 5.0L 600hp supercharged in it ??or just go with 2jz with one big Turbo.