Has my Transmission gone bad?

310

Asked by May 17, 2012 at 08:30 AM about the 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE

When I put the van in reverse and press on the gas pedal, the rpm's increase but the van does not move very fast. I am wondering if this is stricktly a transmission problem or if this has to do with the transaxle.

13,855

First thing I would check is your transmission fluid level. If the fluid is at the proper level you could have plugged filter or the transmission could be bad.

310

I cannot check the fluid level until later, but if it is low or plugged, why would only reverse be effected?

13,855

Usually when transmission is getting worn out the forward gears will go first. It is odd that reverse is affected and not forward. Still a good idea to check fluid and then filter. One good indication if you are going to find a plugged filter is this little trick. Take a clean white cloth and wipe down the transmission dip stick. You should get a pinkish red color and some brown to black debris on rag. If you get an excessive amount of brown/black debris chances are you have plugged or partially plugged filter.

40

Really??? Did you ever saw a sienna tranny inside my friend? What filter do you talking about, there is no filter in that badly designed tranny,just a metal screen if that is you call a 'filter'!!! Change the tranny oil and put some lucas in it! Will shift fine after all! NO FILTER IN THAT TRANNY! DO NOT BELIEVE THIS PEOPLE!

100

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna LE AWD. I removed the transmission oil pan and changed the transmission oil filter when I drained and filled the transmission oil.

40

First thing never do a transmission flush!!! all it does is pushes the dirt particles through the entire transmission causing clogging and more problems with the transmission. Recommend draining the transmission by removing the pan and replacing the filter and gasket. it prevents any dirt getting to the valves and prolonging the life of a transmission. If transmission oil has a burnt smell it is an indication that your oil needs to be replaced to prevent damage. Hope this helps

110

Hi mdozlow, Did you figure out what happen to your Van.. I have the same problem with my 2005 Toyota Sienna now. Thank you.

110

I am sorry wrong person I mean kruzntaco Thansk

310

Transmission went completely bad. Tried to replace it with donor transmissions from LKQ. Went through 4 of them and none of them took. Had to get a full factory replacement from Toyota to it to finally work. Very painfull process but it is still running.

110

Wow .. how much it cost for the factory replacement from Toyota?

Can you please tell me how to go about getting an donor transmission please.

This happened with my 2011 sienna van too. Need new transmission. Extended warranty expired less than a month ago, but no help from Toyota.

I experience a problem with the tranny on reverse too would not go while RPM's reved. I had done a tranny flush the day before and no filter change done. I had to take it to a tranny shop that said my filter was clogged so he took it out and flushed again and put in new filter. The carplex that did the first flush said removing the filter is not required but only makes sense if you flush particles and metal will drain into the filter and clog it. So I suspect regardless of a flush is that the tranny filter is plugged up and should be cleaned or changed as the case may be.

My 2011 Sienna has 103,000miles and the tranny is going out... it runs fine with a whirling noise coming from it... but after a few miles it starts slipping... of course the warranty ran out at 100,000 miles and called Toyota and they said since we got an oil change done at a different shop... that they can't do anything about it!