How hard is it to swap out an engine. I have a 2005 chevy Malibu classic and have a parts car that is 2004 chevy Malibu classic. Can I just leave the transmission on the engine and swap it as well? How hard is this project? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Asked by May 06, 2014 at 12:40 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT

3,105

For the removal it would probably be easiest to drop the whole front wheel drive powertrain with the engine cradle and suspension still attached. First disconnect all wiring and fluid lines, unbolt the suspension struts from above, unbolt the engine cradle, drop it all as one unit, and lift the body up off it. You will need an engine hoist and a vehicle lift. It might also be a good idea to first remove the hood and front bumper, so you can access everything easier.

10

All you need is a engine hoist and a bag of tools and some know how.. If you how to work on cars then it really won't be all that much work for you... But if you don't know much then I wouldn't even attempt this on your own.

45

I just removed a 2.2L with auto trans from my 2005 Malibu classic out the top without removing the engine cradle. I was told it couldn't be done. I did it this way because I was concerned that the engine cradle body mounts may be rusted and seized to the point that they would strip or break when unbolting. It took a lot of time removing all obvious mechanical items and the electrical connectors and disconnecting all the hoses. There were four things I removed that were key in getting the clearance to lift it out. The power brake booster with master cyl, The driver side radiator fan removed by drilling out the four plastic "weldnuts" so I didn't have to remove the radiator or the complete fan shroud. ( a royal pain to remove the entire shroud). Then after hooking the hoist up and lifting the engine off the cradle mounts, I also removed the front and the drivers side motor mount brackets that bolt to the motor. With those removed It came out without a problem. No damage. I don't know if the 3.3 V6 will be as hospitable as there is a lot less room to maneuver around the engine compartment. Good Luck.