What do I do about sludge while changing valve cover gasket?

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 02:59 PM about the 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE

While changing out my valve cover gasket, I discovered that the engine compartment was full of coagulated oil sludge.  Any advice?

take it to your garage which as a SAFE-T-KLEEN tank and bathe it with the frothy brush~...otherwise you're gonna pollute your immediate vicinity....can't find one? any auto rebuilder will have one~

on things that you cannot get over to the tank, like the block...there are a number of products that are all HORRIBLE...the ground will be forever poisoned...but "foamy engine brite" is one we'd use at the garage, then bring it over to the coin-op for the environmental hazard~

they do not hand out awards for a clean engine compartment...just make it work...avoid the vacuum lines being subject to degradation from exposure to volatile poly-carbonates~ change out the vacuum lines with silicone ones if you're worried about some area that can be exposed to the oil...silicone do not take oil~

237,595

Sounds like someone never changed the oil. Scrap up as much as you can. Replace the valve cover, then replace the oil, and filter. You can use any engine flush product or 1qt of ATF in place of one of the quarts of oil. Drive it around for a day and drain. Refill with only oil this time and replace the filter. Disclaimer, using too much of these flush products might open some gaskets as well. So you might want to get on 3K intervals on oil changes until the engine start looking better. Search the internet for more info on sludge in engines.

370

yep lack of oil changes