2005 Chevy Malibu Classic won't start

100

Asked by May 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Base

My 2005 Chevy Malibu Classic keeps having a starting issue and noone can figure it
out!  It wants to start, but doesn't turn over.  I've had nothing but problems since I
bought this car a year ago.  Anyway, it starts up fine when it's nice and cool out.  
When it gets real hot/humid out, it doesn't want to start at all.  I have to wait until the
car cools off before it will even start.  Does this make any sense to anyone??  
PLEASE HELP ME!!!  I can't take it anymore!!!

17,605

1/When it's nice and cool out and it starts fine - does it continue to run fine when the engine (and engine compartment) gets nice and hot? 2/ Then you say when it's hot out (engine cool I'm taking) it won't start PLUS 3/if the engine compartment is hot (ie: has been running ) it won't restart?

17,605

If I laid out 1,2,3 correctly (that's what I think you were saying) then try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor. If it starts under 1,2,&3 then you know where to look.

100

Yes, it runs just fine after I get it started ALTHOUGH I'm starting to notice while driving that it wants to lose power and seems like it wants to die, but it doesn't. Seems like it loses its power, then will gain it back. Like, it bogs down and gets the speed up again??? Yes, when the temp outside is hot and engine cool, it doesn't start. And sometimes after I finally get it started, it dies real quick then takes a while to start AGAIN!! Everyone tells me it's the Theft system, but when I had key in "On" position the other day for 10 mins and went to start, it still wouldn't start until my 3rd try of starting it. It's confusing?? It seems like it's ONLY doing this when the temp outside gets HOT and inside of my car is Hot. I NEVER have a problem in the morning starting my car. Starts RIGHT up!! One day driving home (the only time) it just plain died on me in middle of street and couldn't get started for another 45 mins or so. It wasn't too hot out and was rainy......... But mostly when I finally get it started, runs fine????

50

I have the same car as u and it is doing the same thing right now did u ever find out what was wrong so I have a place to start with it bc no one where I live can think of why it could be doing it

90

Girlfriends car is having same problem try going to rear fuse box and look at panel swap fuel pump relay with another relay that looks identical same numbers. Also tap on fuse box with hand. I believe problem is the rear fuse box is a board and gets hot and cracks and kills fuel pump. When messing around with it you can get it to make connection. I am a mechanic and will be replacing rear fuse box shortly try this and let me know.

20

My 2008 does the exact same thing and none of the shops can figure it out! If you find out the answer please update it here

10

Replacing the rear fuse box will fix it for a little while.. It's something in the wiring

90

Have you found the issue in the wiring. Car has been good for a while I want to take old fuse box apart and look for a cold solder joint or crack. Cause when car wouldn't start I had power coming into box but not leaving

110

try checking grounds on motor i have a2004 lost ground and died trased ground to side of motor replaced ground the ground effects all module and computer

90

So I have had rear fuse box in for over a month and all is good so far will continue with updates.

70

Same thing happened to my car. The mechanic is saying it has to do with the ignition and the key. The car isn't recognizing the key and puts the car into theft system.

90

OK so car finally messed up again and I checked everything found a spread terminal in connect going into rear fuse box. Was actually the wire that would send power from relay to the fuel pump. IDK if you want to try but next time your car won't start pop trunk and to the left there is a fuse box grab a hold of wiring harness going to rear and give it a wiggle may or may not lead you in the right direction. Found my problem hope this helps. I am a mechanic myself and took a while to find because it is not consistent. Good luck.