Why does my engine keep dying?

Asked by Apr 27, 2014 at 09:39 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Impala LS

My car died while pulling up to a stoplight. The battery symbol popped up to show that only the battery was being used. I turned it off and on three times and it started but wouldn't turn over to accelerate. I just put it into neutral and pushed it into a lot. I sat for 5 minutes and tried it again. It started and I drove it home, 5 miles away. Today I started car and took it to the service shop. Just before I could get to the parking lot at the service station, it happened again, this time while breaking again. Does it have to do with me braking or what is going on?

16,955

unless your car is a hybred of some kind I think the battery symbol means your battery isn't charging and your alternator is shot

I just got back from the service station and their estimate stated that it is my mass airflow sensor. They said they need to reman. that, along with replace spark plugs and ignition wiring. Any ideas?

16,955

A picture of a battery is telling you there is a problem in the battery charging system and I don't know why your warning light would show a battery for an air flow problem and a picture of a battery doesn't come on when your plugs are bad. The battery supplies power to get you started and then the alternator supplies the power while running to give spark,run everything electrical and recharge your battery at the same time, I still say you have an ELECTRIAL PROBLEM and maybe you should get a second shop to have a look.

The battery light comes on when motor dies because its not charging.the light comes on when you turn ing on and motor not running,to test the bulb. Cleaned and replaced alot of maf sensors so that could be it. Unplug the maf sensor and drive it if keeps running its not the maf sensor. When u unplug bad maf sensor it will use other sensors s to stay running. Most likely its stalling when its warmed up because its going into close loop and that's when it uses all sensors..

I believe is the spark plugs and wires

I have the same problem with my impala. It is dieing and it is doing the same. I put a new MAss air flow and alt. Have to replace cat too. I'm at my wits end on this car

I had the same problem with a 04 chevy trailblazer. It would run good until you put on the brakes at a stop sign and it would go dead. Try cranking the engine and have everything turned off. Let the engine get warmed up to where it usually runs at. Turn on the fan for the a/c or heat (dose not matter which one) and see if the engine starts to run ruff. If it dose then it is the upper or lower cam rpm sensor. Mine was the lower one. When the fan kicks on the computer tell the engine to up the rpm's to compensate for the drain on power but the sensor dose not see an increase because the oil is blowing by the o-ring. I guess that causes more and more gas to be put in the carb. What ever the cause it fixed the stalled engine but only after a new cpu and mass sensor at a chevy dealership