why does brake pedal go to the floor?

Asked by Oct 04, 2013 at 07:26 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD

I have replaced both calipers,pads,brake line and the master cylinder. I have bleed them
and the pedal keeps going to the floor.

You can have 3 things that are common with the symptom of the pedal going to the floor, low brake fluid/leak, bad master cylinder, or a faulty brake booster. "The booster is a mechanism that uses vacuum pressure to take the force being applied to the brake pedal and amplify it. If the booster is bad, then the full amount of force needed to activate the master cylinder and pressurize the brake fluid isn't going to be there. The pedal will go all the way to the floor and the car will be harder to stop."

As this vehicle has antilock brakes they can be very difficult to get all of the air out of the system. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before putting it on the vehicle? Are you using a vacuum bleeder, a pressure bleeder or just pumping the pedal to get the air out?

yes i did bench bleed the master cylinder...just pumping the pedal to bleed ...the pedal goes hard then I can wait a min and it goes to the floor

You've got a bad master cylinder, just because it is new is no sign it is a good one. Was it a new unit or a reman.

The bleeder valve is on the bottom of the caliper. Gravity pulls the fluid to it and leaves air in the top. Take the caliper off the car but leave the rotor between the pads and bleed with the valve at a high point. You will get your air out. ... pita to figure out. ....