What do I do when I lose my TOYOTA RAV4 2004 keys?

20

Asked by Sep 04, 2013 at 05:22 AM about the 2004 Toyota RAV4 Base 4WD

Went to a party, got drunk, lost my keys and no spares. I have already tried taking the
keyhole to a key smith and getting a new key, but the key cannot turn the car on. Help.
What can I do to fix this?

20,605

call local Toyota dealer , they may have one by vin number or other method

If the key you had made is only a cut key it will never work, it needs to have a transponder chip in it and be programmed. Jimmy is right on, the dealer can make you one, cheaper if you have the little metal tag that came with it new with a number code on it. Or you can try buying a blank transponder key from the dealer, get it cut to where it will turn the ignition switch (Probably same as door) and try programming it yourself to save about $75 or more the Dealer will want to program it Try: http://www.ehow.com/how_7422651_program-toyota-key.html ...and if that does not work, on that page is a list of other ways to try.

25,835

I'll take it a step further and say have a minimum of TWO keys made (since you have no spare) AND get a lanyard to attach one set of keys to for the next time you go partying! If they were around your neck, you might still have them!

Maybe, just maybe, it's good that you couldn't find them...maybe somebody HID them so you wouldn't drive that night?

25,835

Agreed @ DavidH25...I think that was God intervening. If you were so drunk that you lost your keys at a party (house party or club doesn't matter)....Then, you were probably too incoherent to be behind the wheel of the RAV4. It's possible that you might have killed someone or yourself. Count your blessings that keys were ALL that you lost.

20

It was a house party and I was really planning on crashing there if I do get drunk. Anyways, I'll try to go to TOYOTA tomorrow and see what I can ask from them :) Will update.

105

stop drinking to excess. that should fix it. Oh, your keys? Go to Toyota, as you said. And make spares, regardless of your party habits.

25,835

Not trying to beat a dead horse here....BUT, is it possible that since it was a house party, that they keys may be under a sofa, between the cushions or elsewhere...scour the back lawn. Retrace your steps, if you remember them that is...maybe you'll get lucky...unless it was a big ass house ..lol...Good Luck!

20

So I went to toyota, it seems that my car doesn't need a transponder car key as it is a manual key system. We tried turning the car on with the keys I got from locksmith, and it does make a sound, it just doesn't go all the way. Battery is fine, gas is 1/4 and I really can't see any other problems aside from it not turning on. What can be the problem?

25,835

ONCE AGAIN: Not trying to beat a dead horse here....BUT, is it possible that since it was a house party, that they keys may be under a sofa, between the cushions or elsewhere...scour the back lawn. Retrace your steps, if you remember them that is...maybe you'll get lucky...unless it was a big ass house ..lol...Good Luck!

20

I already did all that. I even got dengue from searching near the grassy areas (thinking that I might have thrown it while I was drunk). I have the number of the person who cleans the house, but nothing has turned up until now. :/

3,115

Sometime they have to Change ecu with keys Sorry call Toyota let them know your coming.

20

What did you end up doing? As I have a 04 rav 4 and have lost the guts of the key.. I have the shell and the metal part that goes in the ignition barrel but cannot start the car!!