My ABS and Tracking Light stay on all the time and the brakes are hard to push down to stop..a vibration occurs, then the brakes will catch and do i fix the problem?

Asked by Jun 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD

Whenever I try to stop the brakes vibrate and gets real hard...I have to push down on the
brakes to get them to stop....very dangerous..

Have you changed your pads? It sounds like you need to do so immediately and there may already be damage to the rotors (they will need to be turned if so), and you may have hyper extended a caliper... Inspecting and changing pads routinely is very important to avoid costly damages to the break system...

I agree it is very dangerous. My question is why are you on your computer and not at a brake shop? It sounds as if your pads are worn down, your rotors may be warped, and there is a hangup in the calipers. You are going to spend some big bucks to get it fixed, but it will no doubt be less that an accident deductible and rate increase.

Thank you all..I just got car checked at Brake Check...told me it is the Master Cylinder thats bad!!! :-(

I hope this stops the vibration. Do you have vacuum assist brakes? The vacuum may have a leak and that's why it is hard to push the brakes down. It may not be the master cylinder, just a leak in the vacuum line.

I will double check and see if I have vacuum brakes and the line before I get the master cylinder..thanks