engine does not start

Asked by Feb 25, 2015 at 08:05 AM about the 2001 Toyota RAV4 Base 4WD

when u try to start the car it cran but does not start

2,395

well your either not getting fuel or spark or your anti-theft can kill both. do you have any security lights on your dash, are you using your proper key?. the first thing i would check is have someone listen down near your fuel tank as you are in your vehicle, turn your key to the on position (dont try and start it) the person listening should hear the pump kick on and make a humm sound. if they dont hear it turn the key off wait a minute or 2 and try again. if your fuel pump is not kicking on thats your problem. (not always the pump though could be as simple as a fuel pump relay or a bad connection to the fuel pump)

1,915

zak3nn3dy has a very good point. Also it could be a weak (though not dead )battery or alternator may not be charging properly. Then the crankshaft sensor being bad is another possibility . So dont just throw parts at it. Try to investigate the various parts of the fuel and electrical systems and see if you can pin it down.

110

use remotconrol to lock the doors and open it then start it.

20

Thanks, i will do all three

30

Had my RAV4 for about 6 weeks. At first was ok starting but then would not start 1st time. Sometimes would take 3 goes and once took 5 goes before it started. It's a push button to start so followed the instructions, foot on the brake and press the button. I will say though I only had this problem when I first started the car in the morning. I changed a couple of things to start it. I used to lock the car with the fob, now I have gone back to pressing the door handle. I also start the car before I put my seat belt on. Last of all I hold the key fob as near to the start button as possible to ensure a good connection. I have absolutely no idea if any of these things are responsible for starting the car but it has started 1st time every morning since I changed my routine.

10

i try to change the fuel pump but still not starting, put the key on fuel are not come.are the pump not supposed to pump once you put the on

10

Had my RAV4 for about 6 weeks. At first was ok starting but then would not start 1st time. Sometimes would take 3 goes and once took 5 goes before it started. It's a push button to start so followed the instructions, foot on the brake and press the button. I will say though I only had this problem when I first started the car in the morning. I changed a couple of things to start it. I used to lock the car with the fob, now I have gone back to pressing the door handle. I also start the car before I put my seat belt on. Last of all I hold the key fob as near to the start button as possible to ensure a good connection. I have absolutely no idea if any of these things are responsible for starting the car but it has started 1st time every morning since I changed my routine. This is the same problem as my Rav4 but i do not have the push button.