Recently I've been losing coolant. I took it back where I got it thinking it's a head gasket, and the shop where I got it said it's a side compartment engine leak. Could it be that?

60

Asked by Sep 07, 2014 at 03:53 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS

Everyone keeps telling me it's a head
gasket

108,835

Can you see the leak? Where is it at? Or just loosing coolant with no leak found?

60

There's no leak found. I work at a lube shop and they've checked it multiple times and can't find a leak any where.

108,835

Ok. Do a coolant system pressure test. When pressure starts to drop look for where the coolant is going. Be sure to pull the spark plugs. If it's a head gasket issue you will either have coolant in the cylinders or the oil while doing the test.

108,835

Now if pressure while doing test does not drop that does not necessarily rule out a head gasket issue. I have seen some that would only leak at operating temp at highway speeds.

65,055

Do the cooling system pressure test and, while the system is pressurized, start the engine. If the needle on the gauge of the pressure tester bounces with the engine running the head gasket is blown. HTH. -Jim

108,835

Good one Jim.

60

Thanks! I'm just leary about the place I got it from, I've taken it to them 2 times for the same thing and they keep saying nothing is wrong when my boyfriend, boss, and co workers that have looked at it say no leak that it's a head gasket.

65,055

Thanks dandy. You're welcome Jsc. Another thought here is check the area around the intake manifold. My '93 Caprice had a coolant leak for months and I couldn't find it. It turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets. Very sneaky!! HTH. -Jim

13,145

I'd agree with Js08016 on checking the intake manifold. The material they use to make them will warp after extended use. Look for oil leakage and signs of antifreeze leakage. Sometimes it will only leak while running and it will drop onto the exhaust and evaporate before hitting the floor. Use you sense of smell. Do you smell antifreeze just after shutting off the engine? This will require raising the hood and sticking your head above the engine. You will smell a sweet smell if it is antifreeze. Also if you park on a clean surface, when you back away, check for any tell tail signs of any leaks. Remember, the A/C will also discharge water, so do the finger swipe, smell test. Have a clean tissue to clean your finger after smelling it. Dab some then on the tissue, bag it and take it to your mechanic and show him. Also note the approximate area the drip was found. Example: Front left side, rear right side, or back middle of the engine. This will aid in where to start to look for leaks. And check the oil. If it is creamy white, it is a head gasket leak into the engine. If it is not, dismiss for now the notion of a head gasket leaking. It also could be something simple such as a hose or hose connection. I had a small 6 inch hose on my Pontiac that cracked after 10 years that only leaked when hot and the engine was running. A good experienced mechanic will be able to find a hose leak.

its the freeze plugs under the intake,there are 2 of them and they will rust out! you can't see them but if you look closely down in there with a bendable light I'll bet you find your problem!

can we used water or just we have used of coolant?