Recently I've been losing coolant. I took it back where I got it thinking it's a head gasket, and the shop where I got it said it's a side compartment engine leak. Could it be that?

70

Asked by Sep 07, 2014 at 03:53 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS FWD

Everyone keeps telling me it's a head
gasket

121,105

Can you see the leak? Where is it at? Or just loosing coolant with no leak found?

70

There's no leak found. I work at a lube shop and they've checked it multiple times and can't find a leak any where.

121,105

Ok. Do a coolant system pressure test. When pressure starts to drop look for where the coolant is going. Be sure to pull the spark plugs. If it's a head gasket issue you will either have coolant in the cylinders or the oil while doing the test.

121,105

Now if pressure while doing test does not drop that does not necessarily rule out a head gasket issue. I have seen some that would only leak at operating temp at highway speeds.

78,095

Do the cooling system pressure test and, while the system is pressurized, start the engine. If the needle on the gauge of the pressure tester bounces with the engine running the head gasket is blown. HTH. -Jim

121,105

Good one Jim.

70

Thanks! I'm just leary about the place I got it from, I've taken it to them 2 times for the same thing and they keep saying nothing is wrong when my boyfriend, boss, and co workers that have looked at it say no leak that it's a head gasket.

78,095

Thanks dandy. You're welcome Jsc. Another thought here is check the area around the intake manifold. My '93 Caprice had a coolant leak for months and I couldn't find it. It turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets. Very sneaky!! HTH. -Jim

19,495

I'd agree with Js08016 on checking the intake manifold. The material they use to make them will warp after extended use. Look for oil leakage and signs of antifreeze leakage. Sometimes it will only leak while running and it will drop onto the exhaust and evaporate before hitting the floor. Use you sense of smell. Do you smell antifreeze just after shutting off the engine? This will require raising the hood and sticking your head above the engine. You will smell a sweet smell if it is antifreeze. Also if you park on a clean surface, when you back away, check for any tell tail signs of any leaks. Remember, the A/C will also discharge water, so do the finger swipe, smell test. Have a clean tissue to clean your finger after smelling it. Dab some then on the tissue, bag it and take it to your mechanic and show him. Also note the approximate area the drip was found. Example: Front left side, rear right side, or back middle of the engine. This will aid in where to start to look for leaks. And check the oil. If it is creamy white, it is a head gasket leak into the engine. If it is not, dismiss for now the notion of a head gasket leaking. It also could be something simple such as a hose or hose connection. I had a small 6 inch hose on my Pontiac that cracked after 10 years that only leaked when hot and the engine was running. A good experienced mechanic will be able to find a hose leak.

its the freeze plugs under the intake,there are 2 of them and they will rust out! you can't see them but if you look closely down in there with a bendable light I'll bet you find your problem!

can we used water or just we have used of coolant?

When loosing coolant on passenger side of chevy equinox and you can see the leak what can it be??

19,495

Jennyknows, What may be leaking is the heater box on the passenger side. It may be a weakened hose that is bursting. When the car is running, there is pressure in the lines and it will push coolant out. It also may be the heater box itself is going bad. Best way is to replace the hose first and examine it. Either-way, if you have to replace the heater box, it's wise to also replace the hoses. I'm not too familiar with your vehicle, but the heater box may be read from the engine compartment, or by going under the dash and removing it. Or the other alternative, and it seems likely, the removal of the right side dash or parts of it. See if there is a u-tube on the removal and replacing of the Equinox heater box.

20

I got a 2006 Chevy Equinox I replace the thermostat and the water pump and it still overheating can there be air in the engine that's why it still overheating after a minute or two of driving it

19,495

If the engine starts to overheat right away it sounds like you have a blockage in the system. I'd check the hoses from the radiator to the engine. Since the vehicle is 11 years old, the hoses may be tired. Under heat and pressure they can collapse and restrict the flow of coolant. One way to check is with the engine running and hot, squeeze the line and see if it is mushy or expanded or even collapsed. Also is the thermostat in correctly? It can be put in upside down. If you didn't replace the thermostat, you may consider doing just that. If it is stuck shut, due to fatigue or corrosion, it will block the flow of coolant also. A garage should have a heat gun and locate the hot spots. I wonder if the water heater needed replacement if it was over heating, or was it the thermostat all along? And yes there may be water in the system. Loosen the radiator cap before starting it, and then start it and see if that helps the flow of coolant. It will blanch out some of the air if there is any. Let it run for a few minutes then tighten the radiator cap again and see if it starts to overheat. If so, it may be the hoses, or thermostat. Make sure the engine is indeed overheating, and not a lose connection to the sensor. The sensor also may be going bad and indicate the engine is overheating when it is not. Process of elimination, and don't just throw parts into it unless you're sure they have failed.

Its a bwd intake gasket it pulls air in airlocks coolant system u dont loose antifreeze till it starts getting hot it will come out the overflow i bet temp gauge moves slowley to halfway then within seconds it climbs to hot