Can (should) I replace engine in 95 S/C AWD with 1997 engine?

20

Asked by Jul 15, 2013 at 08:05 PM about the 1995 Toyota Previa 3 Dr LE All-Trac AWD Passenger Van

My 95 LE/SC AWD with 262K miles just blew a head gasket (rough start for a couple days, then it "locked" trying to start, so I pulled #1 plug and coolant came out!) ... dealer wants $3K to $4K to repair. So I'm thinking about how/whether to repair and one option is put in a used engine. The available engine is not supercharged, so the (non-dealer) shop would have to move over my existing supercharger ... all in all, should I be trying to get a 1997 engine, would that be a drop-in replacement?

22,685

Love those Previas- with maintenance, they will last a zillion miles- seen it happen, but I am suspicious of the turbo and the all wheel drive- these things are everywhere, so I would give up on the old beast and spend the money on finding a really nice 2wd normally aspirated Previa with low miles from the original owner- it can be done for under 2 grand and then you'll have one of those zillion milers

22,685

Oh, to answer your question- no, you can't just hook the supercharger up to a non-supercharged engine- same answer- get a low mile "normal" Previa

20

Let me focus on my second question - can we put a supercharged engine from 1997 into a 1995 vehicle which already has a (now-failed) supercharged engine in it? I'm thinking that if they're both the same 2TZ-FZE engine code then maybe it's a drop-in and I'd benefit from any internal improvements made in those two years. If I have to replace the vehicle I'll probably go with something more recent, anyway (to avoid issues with parts-finding etc), and I do want to have AWD. So that'll end up being a 2007-ish Sienna or RAV4, I suppose.