Please help with brakes

Asked by May 13, 2011 at 09:09 AM about the 1992 Toyota Previa 3 Dr LE Passenger Van

One brake line from the front system and one from the rear system run back to a valve mounted near the left rear wheel.  This valve has a lever that is actuated by a rod connected to the swing arm so that if the van noses down in hard braking the lever will go down, obviously intended  to modulate the pressure between the front and rear systems.  When the lever goes down is that supposed to increase or decrease the pressure to the rear system?  How do you know where to adjust the stroke on the connecting rod?  Can that valve be rebuilt?  Something inside of my valve hung up and prevented AMY fluid from reaching the rear slaves.  Simply flicking the lever freed it and it is now functioning but I have no confidence.  Any words of wisdom?  Thanks

10

my proportioning valve was jamming. i sprayed some wd40 on the little pivot. it didn"t seem to do any good. then it occured to me that the pivot looked like a ball joint. ball joints get loose if you spin them tooo much with an impact wrench so i spun for one or two seconds with an impact wrenc. it probably spun it at over 1000rmp. so it didn't more than an instant to loosen it up. i think i had to loosen a couple of nuts before using the impact wrench and then retightened them when i was done. i don't remember very well, so do jump in and damage something if you don't know what your doing. i hope this helps.

thanks very much for the reply electric but my prob seems to be different i guess i wasnt very clear on one important point the lever traveled up and down quite freely it just made no difference where it was located i got not fluid flow to the back slave cylinders had to been something inside thanks again