1995 Toyota Pickup. Rough Idle and unresponsive acceleration

60

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM about the 1995 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr DX 4WD Standard Cab SB

I own a 1995 Toyota Pickup. The major problem is that it runs fine at start, but once it
heats up it begins to idle rough. It either idles around or above 2000 rpms which sounds
like it is gonna blow up or it idles less than 1000 rpms and sounds as if it wants to cut
off. Then it also drops and gains rpm when idling so it isn't a smooth idle at either of
these extremes. When accelerating I can feel a lack of power. I can stomp the gas
pedal and it doesn't respond and it seems like the pedal is stuck and wont go down
further. If i back off of it and press again it smooths out eventually. Also I have full
coolant and while I'm driving the temperature gauge goes up as far as it will go and
comes back down. It doesn't stay high very long and it doesn't happen all the time. I
though maybe it was the throttle position sensor. I replaced the sensor and it didn't fix
anything. At this point I'm just seeking advice and trying to find the problem without
taking it to a mechanic yet. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

60

So I've fixed the temperature gauge issue by replacing the thermostat. Also I moved the throttle position sensor a tad. My problem now is that no matter how far i screw the idle adjustment screw down and/or tighten the idle air bypass down, the engine is idling around 2k rpms. The engine idle my vary. This high idle starts once the truck warms up. When the truck is first cranked the idle is around less than or 1k rpms. As the engine heats up the rpms climb to 2k-2.5k rpms. What could be causing this, I need advice fast. Thanks.