94 toyota pickup overheating without t-stat

Asked by Mar 30, 2017 at 01:06 PM about the 1994 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr DX 4WD Standard Cab SB

My truck will overheat after driving barely a mile up the
road. I've replaced the water pump, radiator, and t-stat. I
haven't replaced the fan clutch but can't tell if this one is
bad. I pulled the t-stat and it's still overheating. Any
advice on this problem?

80,045

Your cars cooling system needs a t-stat to operate properly. Check the fan out and make sure it is working, you should hear it kick in when the engine is hot. From the web ---- First, run the engine until operating temperature is reached. Next, with the engine off, give the fan blade a gentle spin. If it rotates more than twice, the clutch is worn and needs replacing. If fan rotation is rough or noisy, or the fan fails to turn, the unit is worn out and needs replacement.

80,045

Try adding Redline water wetter to the coolant. It will increase the heat transfer efficiency of the coolant.

5,795

I had to get rid of several of my favorite cars because of this...what happens is a "panic" refill with tap water....then the engine gets full of corrosion and no t-stat can fix that...we used to remove the t-stat to run it wide open...problem is the defroster does not kick in for a while~ sad and hopeless, would just use this for short trips...as a long voyage may leave you overheating and stranded~ my advise, get a different car...though it breaks your heart...new motor is an option, too~ VW quantum was an excellent car, but had to be ditched~ want a different one , but they only ran these a couple of years~

5,795

new motor...Japanese engines are plentiful, because they are very strict on a Japanese highway...many inspections and many are for sale~ Check Japanese used engines to find one~

5,795

fan clutch is only important for Air conditioning~

80,045

Bob - sad to see FordNut removed from the list of posters here.

5,795

yes F_O_R...I miss that guy tremendously...had me make two paintings for him...can see that a few folks have taken the liberty to grab 'em~ Since MS took away my ability to walk, being here is a pleasure...cars are easily understood most of the time..the 26 parts of a Jetronic throws people for a loop...am up to 343 paintings now...Here is one that he kept near his computer...I think~ I cannot work but talk to PTSD vietnam vets instead~

80,045

You have a real talent Bob. Are you selling your paintings? If so where would I find them?