Asked by Jul 13, 2016 at 05:52 PM about the 1994 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

My 94 Toyota pickup doesn't stop very good, I
want more stopping power any suggestions

Can you give us a little more detail on why you think your vehicle does not stop very good. Like is the pedal hard, pedal goes to floor, etc.

Pedal feels soft, new calipers,pads,flushed brake lines, it just doesn't stop to quickly,almost rear- ended a car because of it

Was that the reason you replaced calipers and pads or did this just start happening after work was done ?

Just started lately, adjusted rear brakes too, stopped better when I did that, im not sure how to get them to adjust by themselves

I can help you with that. First found a place where you can drive vehicle in reverse for about 50ft put vehicle in reverse and start to back up to about 5-10 mph then use emergency brake to stop vehicle this will automatically adjust the brake shoes to the drum. Do this a couple of times.

I appreciate your help, I'm gonna get under the truck and look at things

So I take it your emergency brake is not working because i am telling you that is the best way to adjust the shoes perfectly to the drums.

perhaps the brake booster is leakin'~ or it is time to pony up and get a brake job~

Best Answer

No leak, it just doesn't feel right and doesn't stop quick enough, I'm gonna get under the truck and look at little deeper at things

I have one of these myself...(that's how this question ended up in my lap)...and am thinking that you must look at the fluid level of the brake reservoir...and see how much crud is in that (with a popsicle stick or such) not that a person could NOT do a brake job themselves (with the drum brakes you are going to want the three piece brake tool set) think that the seals are worn...fluid is contaminated and needs a rebuild or replace...has had a good life now and needs some attention~ master-cylinder.html