Can't shift into 1st or reverse

30

Asked by Feb 02, 2010 at 05:57 PM about the 1994 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 V6 Extended Cab SB

94 4wd and the engine was replaced after sitting for a year.  The problem is when the engine is running I can't get the trany to go into 1st or reverse but it will go in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  What am I missing here?

30

if its a standard transmission it sounds like a clutch issue, or the pilot bearing does not spin freely on the input shaft of the transmission

30

Ok, it is a standard transmission and when we shut the vehicle off we can slip it into 1st or reverse and start the truck and it will stay put until we release the clutch and it goes but if we take it out of gear we can't get it back in. I understand it is a hydralic clutch, does it have to be bled and if yes, how? It seems odd that 1st and reverse has the issue but the other gears are fine.

15

theres a chance it could be your linkage

30

yes you can blled the clutch system, same as brake system, have someone push the clutch pedal down and hold it while bleeding the clutch slave cylinder. there is also a clutch adjustment under the dash on the clutch pedal,there should be about 1 inch of freeplay on the clutch pedal before you feel any resistance when pushing pedal down

35

I was looking in my 91 and cannot find clutch master cylinder but what looks like a brake master cylinder and a smaller one that says brake. is the smaller one for my clutch. Oh and it only has one line coming from it.

40

I have a 2ton toyota dyna truck, it would not go into any of the gears when the engine is working, but if the engine is off it will go into the gears,if you put it in 1 gear and start the engine it would drive off,I have changed the master and the slave and it's doing the same thing.

20

My 93 4runner 5speed has problems going in to 1st and reverse it makes a grinding noise going in to reverse and is stiff going in to 1st, the master cylinder cap is missing could air be getting in or not enough compression. Ive never had a 4runner before so I don't know whats up. Any help?