93 Toyota pickup 22RE engine flooding at idle.

104,345

Asked by Sep 19, 2014 at 01:42 PM about the 1993 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe Standard Cab LB

Checked cold start injector and switch, checked good, done fuel pressure test,
wouldn't hold pressure replaced injectors as they were all dripping, started it back up
ran great idled fine, thought I had got it fixed, drove it 10 miles and it started to do it
again, got back to the shop, disconnected everything with the injection system, ohmed
out the wiring I got a resistive reading on the number 20 connector side of harness for
the injectors everything is disconnected, no injectors or the ECM connected. I have
tried to find a book on this truck but to no avail, Toyota tells me that this system is for
1993 only, it is all by itself. I don't know if this is a normal reading or if something is
wrong.  I'm stuck, anybody have any suggestions?

116,025

Did you recheck the fuel pressure after it started acting up again? Does it only act up at idle but drive out ok if you give it some gas? Reason I ask is had a 90 ranger the other day that had idle/starting issues but when you did get it to start it would drive and idle ok until turned off then same issues with starting. Turned out that the rubber hose hooked to the fuel pump had a pin hole in it. Would not hold good fuel pressure at times but other times did fine. Replace the small hose in the tank and all is good now. Way I narrowed it down to being in the tank and not an injector issue causing the fuel pressure to drop was to unhook fuel line from injector rail and adapted my pressure gauge to the fuel line end. Know this is not really answering your question but just something to think about.

104,345

Yeah I did that as you have to rip this thing apart to replace the injectors I replaced all the vacuum hoses while I was there.

104,345

I finally found the problem, someone had been in the ECM harness splicing wiring and didn't use the proper solder and shrink wrap on the splices, they just twisted the wires together taped them up and that was that, so the damp climate out here started to do it's thing on the tape and wires and bang instant driveabality issues. So I cut out all of the corroded wiring, soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections put the thing back together, fired it up drove it and I am as happy as can be, it runs great.

915

Reminds me of a funny story, My girlfriend owned a Nissan exterra, it kept blowing the tail light fuse, finally I got so frustrated, I looked underneath as I was tracing the wires, whoever wired up the trailer harness (check this out), wrapped the wires around the exhaust pipes, eventually the wire insulation melted and shorted out. UNREAL, YEA????????????