Brake lightsa

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 02:08 PM about the 1993 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

Can anyone tell me...........
When headlight switch is in the off position both
brakelights function normally. When the switch is
turned on the taillights also function normally.
However-and heres the kicker-when the lights are
on and the brakes are applied one brake/taillight
functions normally and the other.......wait for
it.......goes dark. Does not work. Turns off etc.
When the brakes are released the light goes back
to normal. Whatever can it be?

1,710

Did u just change bulbs & it condition started, if so u may have done something, check? Have u always had this condition? Start at least by putting right bulb on left and visa/versa to make sure its not bulbs. If so still check connection plug. I like to first start with most obvious! Lol

Hey thanks for the help. Changed bulbs when I first became aware of the problem. Switched bulbs back and forth. I have not always had this condition. It just started, but I can't say for sure when. I just noticed it a couple days ago. Have checked connections everywhere from the brake switch to the bulb. Turned bulb 180° & tried to fit that way. (Only fits one way). Just thought of this......probably nothing but possibly............just traveled from Bakersfield, CA- warm and dry generally though not very humid- to a coastal city in NorCal where its been very damp and rained approx. 4/7 days I've been here.

5,465

got to be the ground...the tail-light sockets may not be connected very well to the chassis...The chassis connection to the battery may have some corrosion....as the Black to the Block too~ all connections should be clean and fresh with your NEW battery...your switch is okay....test voltages to pinpoint the source~