My 92 Toyota 22re pickup tries to start on its own

Asked by Feb 17, 2016 at 11:21 PM about the 1992 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe Standard Cab SB

The key can be in it or doesn't have to be
and as long as the battery cables are
hooked up to the battery it tries to turn
over itself need answers to why it is and
what can fix it?

5,005

key switch is defective https://www.google.com/? gws_rd=ssl#q=92+Toyota+22re+key+switch

5,625

you have a short in the ignition wiring - not fun to trace but I recommended starting at the starter and working your way up

Best Answer
5,625

or a bad ignition switch - like bob said

It's just real strange to me I just bought the truck it's just a ol clunker and it had a oil leak around the timing cover so I got who new timing chain gears tensioner timing cover oil pump and gaskets and got the oil and filter changed and the spark plugs and wires then it started doing that when I went to but it at first all it would do is clicked when we turned it over then the man bought a new starter and had it put on and it would start right up but now it just turns over on its own and won't even start

5,005

carefully examine the timing marks~

10

As has been suggested, check the ignition switch. Also, check the starter relay, it could be shorted out or even have water in it causing the relay to close and crank on its own. Also, the starter solenoid could be shorted. ( remanufactured starter ? )