1992 toyota pickup, bucks and chugs then stalls out

30

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM about the 1992 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

post having to do a timing chain and top end rebuild I have had this reoccurring problem, where the engine bucks and chugs, and loses all its will to go..i thought it was a fuel problem...color me stumped as soon as I think its fixed it starts again, to date the fuel tank has been completely emptied ran dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, changed the fuel filter before and after draining tank. NO codes flash out, not sure if its a coincidence or not but the problem grew worse after the tank was at half way, and yes the timing is correct....

107,615

I would remove fuel line from fuel rail and cycle fuel pump till I was positive good gas was coming out. Then remove spark plugs. Turn engine over a few times to blow any old gas/trash out of there. Inspect/clean/reinstall spark plugs. Inspect rotor button and dist cap. Clean or replace as needed. Check plug wires to insure they are in the correct order. And check for any loose vacuum hoses or wiring harnesses. Then give it another try.

107,615

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-8932.htm -- firing order for 2.4L (plug wire routing)

107,615

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-8933.htm -- firing order 3.0L.

30

Thanks spent this morning doing just that, still doing it...

107,615

Did you remove dist during the work? If so check that it's installed properly.

30

I did, but rechecked it already to be sure

107,615

Well I at a lose too. Sure sounds like dist could be 180 degrees out. Just for giggles I would check With #1 piston on top of compression stroke remove cap and see if rotor pointing to #1 plug wire. Have you done a compression check on it since you put it back together?

30

Wiring is correct, compression is 275 on all 4

107,615

Ok well we back to a possible fuel issue. Sorry I can not be of more help. Sounds like you have checked and done all that I would have tried. Maybe someone else will chime in here in a bit with more suggestions.

30

Thanks!

30

Ok so what about the fuel pressure regulator, how do I check to see if its not working correctly, or intermitantly?

10

Same thing was happening to me. Are you loosing power completely once stalled out? Ended up being something simple. My GRoUNd came disconnected

10

Started to feel like I had no fuel.. Chugging then farting then would pick up and go the eventually loose idle and die. Ended up being a loose ground wire and runs like a champ. Another thing .....have you checked the air flow sensor. That also went out on me. Same thing. Indeed like crap then would eventually bog out