91 Toyota wont start

50

Asked by Oct 06, 2013 at 05:15 AM about the 1991 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup 22re/automatic, a/c that I recently pulled the engine and replaced the freeze plugs, timing chain, oil pump, water pump, front and rear oil seals and all gaskets and reinstalled the engine and tranny, reconnected all the electrical. but it would not start, had fuel pressure but a very weak spark and could not even get a click until the tranny was placed in neutral and then got a click when attempting to start. now there is no fuel pressure, no clicking from ignition start but will click in neutral, starter will work if the ignition is bypassed with a remote starter but still no fuel and no start, ran the diagnostic for the EFI and got ! blink followed by 5 blinks at the check engine light. All was working prior to pulling the engine. It now seems to have bad starter and what else I can not determine. PLEASE HELP , ANY SUGGESTION?

Try this page to see charts for Toyota OBDI flash pattern charts, click on this but there is much more there, this is an example.... http://autorepair.about.com/od/faqs/l/bl750h.htm

This is another good one: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/toyota-trouble-code-definitions-and-code-gathering-method-1990-1995 and one more: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t4709627-pull_codes_91_toyota_pickup

Now I am not saying this is the trouble, but it reminds me of something, once when I swapped an engine I forgot to hook up the ground strap from the block to chassis...and it wouldn't start. When I discovered that..bingo, started. And here is how I discovered it: on this vehicle (very old) the oil pressure gauge is not electronic, there is a copper 3/16" tube that goes from block to gauge. It sends a pressure of the actual oil to the gauge When attempting to start, that tube started to smoke, from oil on it just from handling it. It was carrying the ground and got that hot. Ground strap from block to chassis and a new negative battery cable to chassis/frame and....vrroooom. Had to buy a new oil pressure gauge too

50

DavidH25, Will check this today and let you know what happens.

Please do. I'm curious now...thanks

Best Answer
50

Thank you DavidH25, I checked the negative battery cable and it was faulty so I replaced it and now the engine will turnover while in neutral but not in park. This is a significant improvement, but I have determined the starter is bad and is drawing to much power from the battery(sounds like the bearings are shot, very noisy) also still no fuel pressure and the EFI relay located in the fuse box on the fender well is hot Don't know why that is happening. I will verify that the shift linkage on the tranny are in the correct position(minor adjustment). The EFI diagnostic shows 1 blink followed by 5 blinks, the link was helpful to figuring out what that means, this is it System--Switch Signal, Diagnosis--A/C switch is on, neutral start switch is off, idle switch is off during diagnosis. Trouble area--A/C switch circuit, A/C switch, A/C amplifier, Throttle position sensor circuit, Throttle position sensor and ECU. However I checked the A/C and turned it off, Neutral start switch seems to be functioning(engine turns over in neutral but does not start), I don't know how to tell if the idle switch is on or off. Just getting the engine to turn over in neutral is progress. If you have any further suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks again David I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Robert. Okay.a 1991 correct me if I am wrong here, but it has single port throttle body fuel injection, the one that the throttle body looks very much like a carburetor...there is not an injector for each cylinder. Is that it? And the exact model of your truck, even the VIN will help, PM me if you prefer with that. Pull the fuse out for the A/C and work from there, get the flash pattern again. Pictures would be good, if you can take some with your phone and email them to yourself you can upload them.

50

David, This is a 1991 22re MultiPort Fuel Injection, 4 injectors, SOHC, automatic. I put a new battery in, and checked resistance on the coil, coil wire, spark plug wires, coolant temp. sensor, start injector time switch, VSV wire, Air Gap, Signal Generator, EFI relay, fuses behind left kick panel and inside the engine compartment, sparkplugs all have good spark, voltage to the starter when cranking the engine is above 9 volts. All of the above are within spec except the water temp sensor. Ran another diagnostic and received the following trouble codes #22 water temp sensor signal, and #43 starter signal. the areas affected are water temp sensor circuit and ECU and the IG switch circuit, IG switch and ECU. Still no fuel, so I sprayed some starting fluid and tried again. The engine cranked over nicely but didn't seem to have any spark. At this point frustration began to set in, I think the problem could be the Circuit opening relay, water temp sensor or the ECU. Had to stop for the day. Flash pattern is: 2, 2, 4, 3. these are codes 22 and 43. I don't have a cell ph right now.

235

In 1991 these were fully assembled in Japan, and much smaller gauge wires were used throughout the entire truck, Being this old, they can break or corrode quite easily. There is a plugin clip going to the starter. This is often a trouble area, but easy to unplug, inspect, clean and even replace if broken. That is the only quick and free fix, I might have to fixing a starting problem in a 91 Toyota pickup.