hot car will not start

310

Asked by sbizer Apr 19, 2010 at 09:32 AM about the 1991 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 Extended Cab SB

In the hot weather.. when I drive around.. stop the car..maybe 2x.. usually it will not start up again until the engine has cooled down for about an hour or more.. I can pop the clutch and its fine..
I cleaned the battery terminals.. but I do not think that is the problem.
This has been happening for years.. but not I rely on the truck for work.. So i cant be push starting the truck all summer.. Please help!

The easiest thing to check (to a degree) is the starter itself. The next time it fouls up, have somebody hold the key in the start position while you go in there and poke the starter with a hammer. Whack it smartly from the side on the brush end. If it sudedenly starts cranking, that's it!. If not, though, that doesn't eliminate the starter as the culprit.