1990 toyota 2wd truck 5spd 6cyl starts then dies, is there a fuse or relay I can check or is it a fuel pump issue?

Asked by Aug 23, 2015 at 09:19 PM about the 1990 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 Extended Cab SB

Truck starts then dies, just put in new fuel filter. not sure where relay is or fuse is to
check. could be fuel pump?

65,755

If it was fuse it would not even try to crank,check the fuel pressure,sounds like the pump is bad.

After all the reading of different answers i retraced my day when this problem started. The last thing that happened was the cleaning of the inside of the truck. I must have bumped the relay that was hanging on the passenger side of the truck. This is a truck I'm borrowing from a friend and not familiar with all the little nuances. That and somewhat clueless mechanically. I went back to the relay and kind of pinched it between my fingers after I started it and it ran. When I released it the motor stalled. Did it again and I got the same response. The relay was old and not covered. Replaced it and all is well again. Saved me the pain of replacing the fuel pump.