have two 90 toys and wan to know if its smog leagel to swap engines one is a 3.0 VZE and the other is a 22RE

175

Asked by Oct 09, 2012 at 09:24 AM about the 1990 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe Extended Cab SB

i have just rebuilt my 3.0 VZE on my 2wd 1 ton toyota 1990 and then friend gave me a  1990 toyota
pick up 4x4 pu but it has a 22 re 4 cylender enging can i legaly swap; the engines and put the v6 in the
4x4 and it pass smog in california or would i have to take to a referee for something like that
both are extended cab pick ups with short beds.  or would it be better to take the suspention transfer
case and the rest of the parts and put on the 2wd pickup

Does the engine you want to install have a vacuum pump? Process of elimination, alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C compressor, account for all those and if there is not another belt-driven device, the there is no vacuum pump and will not pass Calif smog. Maybe, just maybe, you can use the one from the old engine, but that may be very difficult to find a place to mount it and get a belt on

Plus you will need the charcoal canister (vapor recovery) and several other things if the engine was in a vehicle sold in certain States.

425

Depending on what state ur in it may not be legal to swap the engines unless u know for sure what state emissions the v6 passes it may take some research otherwise it may be safer to just swap everything else out

16,175

Dependant on state. First thing is the v6 being a bigger engine will produce more gases and would be detected by an emissions test. If a visual inspection has to be done then thats obvious. The 22r is a much more reliable and wanted engine anyway. Unless its already blown up i'd keep it. Just keep both trucks how they are, if you want selling the 4x4 wouldnt be hard. The 4x4 22r is like gold. Doing this swap would be like taking a Dodge Cummin's and swapping for a 5.9 magnum.

175

DavidH25 yes the v6 is compleate n smogs thats the truck im using now the 2wd

175

ik i have to swap whole thing ecu n all that too