why won't my break lights turn off?

Asked by Jun 14, 2014 at 07:20 AM about the 1995 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

this has never happened before and I've
had for two years.

22,705

If they stay on, even after the car is shut off, I would check the switch-

112,115

Pull up on your brake pedal. Sometimes this will get them to turn off.

135

You might have one of a coyple of issues. If the brake lights are the only lights that come on, then either your front or rear brakes may be worn to dangerous levels and you should get them checked. Check also the brake flyid levels, may be too low. Also make sure you are not driving with the parking brake on. Either of those would happen if the brake light cones on by itself

135

Another thing that can cause the brake light to turn on in a paseo, is if the serpentine belt breaks. In that case, the car will drive on battery power, the brake will come on, the charging light may or may not come on, the car will probably not charge the battery and the brakes will barely work. In addition, the water pumpp wont work either so you will habe to be careful not to overheat the car if you must pull over or need to get home. Hope you are able to resolve this.